Chapter One

She was only a pup when it happened, but it was permanently burned into her brain.

Her mother Lalia was asleep in their cave, when Lina's father burst in the cave, blood oozing from his sides.
His orange-ish red fur was now dark red.The blood smelt like metal,and it burned her nose.The blood pouring from her father was horrid.It came from the millions of scratches all over his body.

Surely he would die of blood loss.

"Lalia take Lina to safety! Go find a pack where you will be safe!"Xavier yelled.

Lalia woke instantly, leaping to her feet and baring her teeth. "Why,
Xavier!What has happened!?"she cried.

Xavier's eyes went soft. "I'm sorry dear...I believe my end is near,"He pressed his muzzle against Lalia's, then against Lina's."Take care of your mother young one,"he murmured in her ear.

"They have come for us,"he growled to Lalia. "and they won't stop till we are dead.So go...NOW!!"And with that, Lina watched her father turned around and race towards the howls  of rage and the screams of terror.

Lina remembered it like it was yesterday.It would haunt her dreams, and she would wake up in a pile of cold fearful sweat.

But then Lalia would comfort her, telling her Xavier was still alive, running free, above us, in a world of happiness and joy.

And that made Lina feel much better.

Then she would cuddle into her mother's side, here eyes drooping with sleepiness, and fall peacefully into sleep.

Then one day they found a pack,one willing to let them stay.
The pack would keep them safe.

Lalia was so grateful.They tried their best to fit in.

Most of the pups there were pretty nice.
They played with her, and taught her things,like how to steal food from their Father and Mother wolves, and how to chase birds and squirrels.

Lina was content and happy.

Then one day Lalia came in and spoke to her.

"Today is our naming ceremony.This is the day we finally become full fledged members of this pack."Her mother spoke softly, smoothing down Lina's fur.Then they walked to the middle of the camp where wolves were gathered around.

Their Alpha, Ghost, came bounding out from his den, and stopped before them.
His icy blue eyes seemed to stare into her soul, sending shivers down Lina's small body.

But Lalia seemed unfazed, standing bravely before him, her tail wrapped protectively around Lina.

The big white wolf spoke, "Lalia,Lina, your time has come to choose your place.Take a wolf name and stay, or keep your names and leave,"he said, glancing around at all the wolves gathered around.

"Does any wolf object of these two joining our pack?"he rumbled, his voice loud and clear.

Not a wolf spoke.

"We choose to stay and take new names."Lalia told him, ducking her head in respect.

"Then from now on, your name shall be Amethyst, and your pup,Xena."He nodded, his eyes gleaming with pride.

Xena let out a howl of excitement, racing over to the other pups, who welcomed her with licks and friendly bites.

"Xena! You got such a cool new wolf name!"Fierce exclaimed, tugging on her ear.

She shook her orangish fur, nipping Fierce's paw.

"Thanks, Fierce! Where is Boulder?"she wondered aloud.