Declaration of War

Eren held the paper in his hand. He glanced at the fine perfect script. He recognized it immediately. This was father's handwriting. He looked back up to the man who had handed it to him. Eren had been at the castle for a little over a week now. Levi sighed looking into those beautiful life changing eyes. They were filled with the curiosity that was the world at large.

Although not stupid, there were many common things the king was finding his intended didn't know. Things any child should know. He didn't know not to run on wet stone, how to fasten clothing, social cues picked up in various situations. He was too trusting, but also very wary of those around him. He didn't know that a smile wasn't always held by a friend. And it turns out...

"You don't know how to read." Levi commented.

"This is from father." Eren smiled happy he could tell the king this.

"Yes it is." Levi scowled.

"It is a declaration of war." Armin explained. "Do you know what that means?" he asked just to be certain.

"When two nations disagree they go to war. The Victor hold the spoils." It sounded like Eren was repeating lines from a text book.

"In essences. " Levi agreed.

"What is it you and father disagree on?" Eren asked looking puzzled.

"You. Where you should live." Levi stated. Eren shrank back. He curled his legs up and doubled over.

"You will send me back?" he muttered. Levi dropped to one knee before him.

"Never. Not even with my dying breath will you ever be sent back to that wretched man!" Levi vowed.

"I don't want you to die. Zeke died. He went away and never came back to see me." Eren felt the tears coming into his eyes. Armin told him crying was a sign of weakness and knights weren't weak. This had resulted in Levi striking him. He had yelled at the blond to not put stupid shit like that in Eren's head. He wanted his knight to be able to express himself.

Eren swiped at his eyes. "You won't go away and never return will you, Levi." He begged clutching a handful of the mans shirt.

"If I go to war with Father, then I will have to leave, from time to time. I will return as long as I am able. In a war, there is always the chance of death, even to a king." He confirmed. Eren let go of him. He shrank away burying his face into the wall of the castle.

"It's because I am weak. If I were a strong knight like, Furlan, you would be able to fight better, to protect us from Father." Eren unfurled his legs. He stood. "I do not wish you harmed..." He turned to trudge back to his room. He spoke so low that, at first Levi didn't hear what he said. When his brain processed the words, Eren was already out of sight.

"I shall return to father, to keep you safe." Levi leapt to his feet. He ran down the hall catching the knight. He lifted him up slamming him, albeit as gently as he could, into the wall.

"NO! You are not permitted to go near father!" He yelled. Eren didn't look at him, didn't lift his arms to touch him. He did nothing to defend himself. He hung limp from the kings arms, head down he waited for the tirade to be over. Levi yelled a lot. Eren often laughed at it.

"Eren, do you understand me!" Levi shook him gently. He put him back down. Eren resembled a hollowed out husk. Only one thing reached the teen when he was like this. "If you won't stay away from father for your own safety, than do it for the child you carry." Levi growled.

Hange had confirmed the pregnancy. In just over twenty three months, the king would have an heir. Now, Eren's head came up just slightly. It was enough to tell the king the teen was listening. "What do you think Father would do to our child? A dragon shifter? Would he let it go outside? Would he kiss it? Hug it? Or would he lock it in a cell out of your reach? Would he experiment on it?" Levi was being cruel but he knew he had to get the boy to stay in the castle.