Doubts

When they woke, Mikasa was waiting for them with breakfast. The king was a big pouty blob on his throne. Eren glanced up at him. "He has agreed. We leave him to rule his kingdom, but I am in charge of his army until you recall me." The corners of her lips twitched a little. Eren giggled.

"You almost smiled, come on you can do it." He teased. She slapped at his hands as he tried to reach her face. He laughed and pulled his own mouth up making a silly face. Mikasa burst out a short laugh.

"You are crazy, kid." She shook her head. Eren was happy he got the girl to smile. They ate as Erwin and Armin came back.

"Ready those we are taking back with us. Once we are done here we will fly home." Levi told Erwin. Eren was led out to the courtyard by Armin as Levi and Mikasa spoke with the king. Eren sat on a bench soaking in the morning sunlight. He couldn't explain why going back to Levi's castle had his stomach hurting.

"It's because Regent Grisha is there." Armin offered when Eren finally brought it up. Erne shivered in the warm sun. He dove into Armin's arms hiding his face against the boys shoulder.

"I don't want to go back. Father will get me!" Eren wailed. Hands pried him away from the other knight.

"Not while I draw breath." Levi soothed him. "You are mine forever, Eren. Deal with it." He kissed the boys swollen lips. His hand went to Eren's stomach. "We will both raise this child." Eren sniffled.

"Besides, you are far stronger than when father had you last. Do not bow down to him, or anyone. You, Eren Yeager, are the King's chosen Knight." Mikasa stated. Eren raised his head. He nodded but secretly he knew that father would always be stronger than him.

Eren watched as Levi transformed. He took his seat, holding onto his saddle until he was strapped in. When everyone was ready, they launched into the air. The people below oohing and aahing over the pretty dragons.

Eren shivered as he pulled the cloak tight around him. He couldn't help but think about father. The wind whipping him, felt like the sting of fathers belt. But that left welts on him that didn't heal for weeks. The times he upset father so father would hold his head under icy water, or made him sit in a tub of ice cold water for hours.

The only bright spot of this was Bertolt. He would pull Eren from the water, wrap him in warm blankets and sit holding the shaking boy as he fed him warm foods. He would read stories to Eren until the boy warmed up. Father never checked on them. Eren didn't know why.

As Levi felt his knights pain and fear grow, a deep hatred took life in the kings heart. Who would hurt such an innocent in this way? Not to mention this Bertolt. Eren thought him a savior to him. Levi could see, in his memories, how he was training the boy to love him. He damaged Eren just as much as Grisha. The king would never grant a reprieve to either of them.

The castle came into view, a sight that usually pleased Eren. Today it filled him with a dread like no other. Levi landed. Eren slipped from his back. He didn't wait for the stable boy to remove the saddle so Levi could transform and escort him inside. Eren was used to being alone. He grieved alone, he feared alone, he survived alone...

His feet padded against the stone walkway. Eren wasn't even sure where he was going. He wondered the halls of his home. He walked and walked. His mind in turmoil. When he stopped, Eren lifted his head to look around. He didn't know where he was. This was a different hall than he had ever seen.

The tapestries hanging on the walls depicted a gruesome scene. A dragon battle. The dark dragon attacking the silver beast. Eren gaped. He would recognize Levi's dragon form any where. He moved along watching as the dragons fought both day and night. There wasn't a castle. The land seemed empty. Eren's feet took him farther along.