seventy-one.

miles was in only his boxers when i'd gotten back, rubbing his eyes as he turned over. he'd obviously been falling asleep beforehand.

but when he'd seen my face, he sat upright, all traces of him previously being unconscious vanishing, "who the fuck hit you?"

his fists were clenched as i walked closer, his eyes running over my black eye, disheveled hair and cradled arm.

and when i'd gotten closer, he'd pulled me lightly into his arms. he stroked my hair, placing a kiss on my forehead before he shifted me so i could lay down.

"it was just some douche i used to be friends with... he-"

he shook his head as he twirled one of my curls around his trembling finger, he was trying to keep his calm, "wait, this was a guy?"

i nodded and he'd stood, making his way to his duffle bag and pulling out a pair of pants and a sweatshirt.

"miles, where are you going?"

his hands were shaking violently as he pulled on his clothes, "i'm going to give this guy a black eye and some broken ribs before trying not to bash his head into the concrete, you?"

my head was shaking as he made his way over to me, kissing my lips.

"he didn't mean to. for all i care, he can kiss my ass-"

if i thought he was angry before, he was practically fuming, "i'm the only one who gets near your ass. who is he?"

"miles..."

he was scratching his wrists, searching for his cigs, "stop protecting him, he fucking hurt you. what's his name and where is he?"

and i felt the need to tell him, "travis... he said he knows you."

he dropped his pack, eyes widening, "... is he blond?"

i nodded, trying to piece together the story and how they knew each other, things starting to fall into place.

"fuck... does he have blue eyes?"

and he roughly slammed his hand into my bed post as i nodded again. miles' breathing was heavy, his eyes flickering from his cigs to me.

his eyes were starting to water as the scratching on his wrists became harsher.

i watched as he went to pick up his cigarettes, fumbling with his lighter before he got fed up. and in a second, he was sinking to the floor, head in his hands before throwing the cigarette down in exhaustion.

"i need you in my arms."