thirty-eight.

"travis!"

i heard banging around before a crash, "don't threaten my brother!"

"i swear i'll make you fucking pay. you killed her!"

and that was when miles hung up, standing up, fists clenched as he paced, his feet slapping against the floor although he had no shoes on.

i wasn't expecting it when he struck his fist at the wall again and again as he yelled, his feelings pouring out of him in waves. he was yelling profanities that could make a sailor uncomfortable.

tangling his hands in his hair, he lashed out, striking the wall again before he punched the metal unattainable curtain rod that sat beside my window, his fist hitting the edge.

i watched as the blood started to run down his knuckles but he didn't stop.

"miles! miles calm down!"

his punches became weaker as my arms circled around him, "shhh, it's okay. it's okay."

i started humming a tune to him, saying the lyrics softly to the first song that popped in my head as his hands clenched unclenched, "i know where you stand, silent in the trees."

i felt him sink into me, "and thats where i am, silent in the trees," somehow miles' head ended up in the crook of my neck

"why wont you speak, where I happen to be? silent in the trees." and we both sank to the floor. one of my hands came up to stroke his head, the other rubbing his back as he shook with silent sobs, the tears soaking into my shirt.

"i killed her. i killed her. i killed her."