seventy-seven.

"you wanna end up like that? huh?" i heard travis' screaming, his voice hoarse.

i hadn't even realized i wasn't breathing, miles' voice bringing me to a slow exhale, my body unlocking and my tears rolling. i don't think i'll ever hear anything as beautiful as his voice when he yelled out a "dammit, travis," i'd heard feet slapping against concrete, and then a girl running out of the alley, sobbing and clutching her heart like she couldn't breathe.

that was exactly how i felt, i was sweating, i wasn't aware of the tears running down my cheeks, i just wanted miles out of there and i wanted him safe. i needed reassurance that he was okay and i needed him near me.

"you could've killed her!" and then something shifted inside miles' voice. he was terrified, his voice shaky, and somehow i found myself closer and able to peer into the alley.

the gun was pointed at his face and my body went cold. i went into overdrive, stifling a sob with my bare hands, "travis, put the gun down."

"you took everything from me."

"is this what you want, man? you want to end up in jail for the rest of your life?" i could hear footsteps, i could see him inching closer, hands held up and voice concerning, "delilah is dead."

"shut up!" he was shaking, he was crying, he was placing the gun under his chin.

"travis, stop, you're better than this. we can get you help."

"i have nothing to live for."

i wasn't aware of how close i'd gotten but i was able to see when miles tackled travis.

there, i saw him trying to take the gun from travis' trembling hands as he held it to his own forehead.

"travis, drop it! tra-" and then the gun sounded, the blond haired boy's body slumping limp on the ground and miles sitting above trying to violently shake life back into him.

it wasn't until he had realized the gun was still in his hands that he flung it.

and then as he was sobbing, not letting up when the police came, not letting up when they tried to pull him away.

not stopping, he eventually was held down and detained, forced to his knees in his faded black jeans.