seventy-four.

"miles, i'm going to need you to calm down and talk to me about this, okay?" he was walking fast, ignoring my attempts to keep up with him as he made his way down the familiar roads.

into that tunnel that darkened the sky.

and then we were next to the fire escape.

and he responded, spinning so fast i almost got whiplash. i could see his breath as he spoke, the air around us fogging, "travis cooper is delilah cooper's brother," he must've seen my confused look, the name ringing bells i couldn't comprehend, "delilah cooper is my ex-girlfriend... he hates me and he-he came after you to get to me and he hit you and i'm gonna fucking kill him."

he was shaking with anger, his eyes narrowed so sharp they could cut glass.

trying to be the voice of reason, my hands held his jaw lightly, his body so tense, i could feel his teeth gritting, "he's pretty messed up..."

and then he let out a humorless chuckle, "yeah, found his sister dead, he has a right to be."

i was still trying to process and piece together the full story, "it feels like you're leaving something out..."

he hesitated, "travis used to hit his sister... a lot." miles scratched the back of his head in a confused manner, "he's a drug addict, i think he's into coke and that shit fucks with your brain."

and to prevent his nails from causing any more damage, i gripped his hands in mine. the action felt so natural, he hadn't even noticed as he subconsciously linked his fingers with mine.

"he put me in the hospital a few weeks ago... i was such a fucking mess," shaking his head, he squeezed my hand, "he saw that i was depressed and he told me that letting me suffer was better than watching me die."

he was staring straight at me with a sad smile on his lips, "i think he found out that i'm happy now, with you, and he doesn't want me happy."