Cruel

She had learned from a young age, the cruelty of life and the world, she had thought she had found sanctuary when she had been taken in by the one who she considered her mother.

But, peace did not last, as she remembers the crackling flames which had taken almost everything from her.

She had been happy, but now, she must smile, a smile however fake, a smile that she is told, enchants the men.

Even if, deep inside, she longs to cry, to run, to hide, within the warmth of her mother's arms, and let all her sorrows loose, and all her troubles fly.

But she is no longer a little girl, who is shielded from the world, she was a woman, a woman with a duty.

________________________________________________________________________________

She smiles as the samurai places a pin in her hair,  but inside she feels her disgust, like stains on silk, which refused to disparate.

"Such a pretty face,"  the man chuckled, "shame that your brother has such a hideous one, yet you somehow turned out so beautiful."

Her hands clenched, but she forced herself to relax, to ignore the stinging pain left by his words, she hated it when they talked about her brother like that, she hated their cruelty, their ruthless words.

Bug he wasn't done as he leaned closer, and she felt frozen, unable to move, she could only listen as his insults continued.

"Shame, that your mother was such a vulgar woman, running a her..."

She didn't hear the rest as tears threatened to spill from her eyes, she couldn't be the prefect courtesan, she couldn't force herself to become an orian, and rage flooded through her body, she didn't know what happened next, but all she saw was red.

________________________________________________________________________________

She heard the screaming as her vision returned to normal and she saw the samurai kneeled over on the ground clutching the left side of the face, then, she noticed her hairpin in her hands, blood dripping from it's tip.

She nearly dropped it in horror, but another part of her didn't feel regret, and an odd calm rolled over her, he deserved it, he deserved it, her mother and brother weren't animals, they were people.

How can the world be so cruel?

She wondered.

"DOCTOR!"  The samurai screamed, "I NEED A DOCTOR!"  to the courtesans who had rushed in to the scene.

Reality rushed in as Ume realized what she had done, she had stabbed her client, the man who she was supposed to serve, and there would be retribution, she took a step back, and another, then she ran.

She tried to get away, to find her brother, she was scared, she was afraid, as she nearly smashed into a wall in front of her, if they caught her, if they caught her, she didn't want to know what they would do.

Her feet stung as sharp stones cut into them as she raced into the street.

Her brother should be around, he should be around, and she screamed his name "Kazutaka!"

"KAZUTAKA HELP!"  

The tears came, blurring her vision as she heard shouts behind her.

"KAZUTAKA!"  She cried again, but her efforts were in vain as she was tackled from behind.