Suffer

Something was wrong.

Something was terribly and utterly wrong.

The boy felt unexplainable terror course through him as his steps quickened as he rushed into town.

He saw the smoke in the air, he was close enough to smell the burning of flesh, and he was worried.

It would probably be nothing, just someone burning something unneeded, but he felt, he felt that something was amiss.

There was a black figured, crumpled in a ditch in the middle of the road, at first he didn't realize what had happened, but then the figure let out a small gasp of pain, and he realized who it was.

"UME!"  He screamed as he lifted her from the ground.

Tears spilled out of his eyes as his sister barely breathed, let along reacted.

"STOP THIS!"  The boy screamed up toward the sky.

"I'M THE ONE COLLECTING DEBTS HERE!"

"YOU DARE COLLECT SOMETHING WITHOUT GIVING ANYTHING BACK TO ME?  UNFORGIVABLE!  UNFORGIVABLE!"

"TURN MY SISTER BACK!"

"IF YOU DON'T I WILL KILL THE GODS AND BUDDAS, I WILL KILL EVERYONE!"

The boy sobbed, but he wasn't able to finish.

He let out a grunt of pain as he was slashed from behind.

And he fell forward onto the ground.

"It's definitely this guy right?"  A male voice asked.

"Yes that's correct."  The voice of the manager answered the man.

The boy's hands clenched as she continued, his eyes flashed red when she spoke of his sister, and how it was a shame to "lose" her, as if she hadn't participated in her burning.

He didn't hear anything more as he picked up his sickle, and sunk it into the skull of the manager.

Hate and envy swept up inside of him as his own words, echoed through his head.

"You sure have a nice kimono, pure and supple skin too, man.  I bet you always get a full meal and you sleep in a beautiful futon.  That's probably how it was, ever since you were born.  You live in a house which shelters you from the wind and rain, nice man.  Nice mannn.  As for the guy who lost a mere eyeball."  

His hands tightened as he heard the samurai's footsteps drawing closer.

"Just shut up, will ya?"  He asked, as he landed behind the samurai, who's head had been sliced into two halves.

________________________________________________________________________________

His body ached, and he felt the urge to sleep as he carried his sister's body in the streets.

No one would help them, it was how things usually worked, no one had helped them when they home had caught fire, no one had helped them after they had both been orphaned, after all, the only one who had ever helped them, the only one who had ever given them a second glance, was gone, taken from the world.

Taken from him and his sister.

His sister, her breaths were growing shorter and shallower with each breath, and he knew that death was near for both of them as he collapsed when the snow begun to fall.

How fitting it was, that the day their mother had found them, was a cold winter's day, just like the one in which they were dying.

No matter anything he had tried to do, no matter how hard he had tried to work, life just kept turning against him.

Life would take, then give, then take it away, once and for all.

Good was intertwined with bad, and mercy, was intertwined with cruelty.

That was the way, of life.