Burn

They had tied her like an animal, her hands and arms bound to the point where she could not struggle.

Her eyes widened in fear as she saw the indention in the earth, blistering with coals, waiting for fuel.

"You should have known your place."  The samurai spat at her as he forced her toward the fire.

"No, please."  She didn't want to beg, she hated herself for her fear, but she couldn't help herself, she was afraid.

In response the samurai kneed her in her stomach, all air leaving her lungs as she struggled for breath.

"Can your words give me back my eyes?  No.  And this is the consequence, for not knowing your place."  He hissed his words and she knew then that there was no escape.

She hated fire, she hated it's burn, the blisters it could create.

Fire, had taken her mother from her.

She was scared.

And as she was pushed forward, she closed her eyes and tried her best not to scream as her skin begun to blister.

Before, before her mother had saved her, her mother had used her own body as a shield against the flames, but now, her mother was gone, truly and utterly gone, no one would help her, no one would save her, no one even cared.

It was as if her life was meaningless.

As if her being was just one empty shell.

The will to fight back left her as she closed her eyes, waiting for death.