A Life for a Life

2 years later . . .

A tall man stood overlooking a village, his grey eyes scanned the houses as he recognized a burned spot of land.

His hands trembled slightly as he placed a bouquet of red spider lilies down before the ruined house.

The fire which had killed the love of his life, had happened here, many years ago.

Only a week before it had occurred, he had left Japan and had gone to a distant country to negotiate peace with the people there, that had been the last time he had seen her, he had tried to convince himself not to, but he could not, she had been as beautiful as ever, her long brown hair shining in the sun, her blue eyes soft but dancing as she had held a plant lovingly.

He hadn't spoken to her, he hadn't bade her farewell, and it seemed, that in this life, he would never have the chance to stay by her side.

His biggest regret was her.

His first mistake was dragging her into his household.

His second mistake, was letting her go.

His third mistake, was losing the chance to hear her words one last time.

But it wasn't the time for mourning, he knew, her death was no accident, and he had searched, he had sent his men to find out what had happened, and now he knew.

How could the soul of his beloved rest, when her killer was still alive and well?

How could he let her down so, that her death was left in the dark.

He knew he was a coward, he knew he was useless, he knew that he had failed to protect the one he had loved most, and he hated himself for that.

He hated, that he couldn't even be present when justice was delivered.

His mother had gone too far, and he could have only given her one sentence, death, but he wasn't brave enough, he hadn't been brave enough to witness with his own eyes, the head of his mother, tumbling to the ground.

Even though, a life for a life was a fair punishment, he couldn't do it, and he had been the reason of her death.

Her death, her smile haunted every living second of his life.

He couldn't let her go, and maybe he never would.

Maybe she just wasn't his, maybe their fates were never meant to cross.

But maybe in the next life, or the next, he wouldn't be so foolish, maybe he would be brave enough to never let go of her hand again.