The Parting

Three years.

It had been three years since they had gotten married.

Yet she was unable to fulfill the main task she had as a woman, to give her husband an heir.

Airi had refused to accept it at first, but she had been forced to admit that she was infertile.

Love was important, but love could not grant her peace.

A revelation which led to her facing her husband in a bid for her freedom.

________________________________________________________________________________

"I can't just let you go."  Airi glanced into the shocked grey eyes of her husband.

"Daichi please, this is for the best."  She murmured as she looked down, looking away from his searching and heartbroken gaze.

"I promised I would take care of you, I promised you would be happy.... I"  Air felt tears stinging her eyes, but she blinked them away.

"Daichi, please.  This is for the best; for both of us."  She replied as her fingers clenched.

"Airi..."  He opened his mouth, but he cut himself off, instead looking away,

"Daichi, please.  If you love me, if you've ever loved me, please, let me go.  I don't belong in this home, all these years this life has caged me, I have no freedom nor happiness here."  

Her tears came even as she tried to wipe them away.

Her husband reached out a hand but he froze and his eyes, she would never forget the look in his eyes, of a man who was about to loose the one he loved.

Edited 9/25/2022