A Decision

She remembered what he had said to her whenever she felt scared or overwhelmed about her attacks. "Don't worry, we'll get through this together, I promise." That's what he had told her, but now he was gone. 

"Oh, Scott... You promised we'd do this together." She cried. 

She thought she heard explosions in the distance, but she couldn't force her eyes open. That's how much pain she was in. Not just physical pain, no, but emotional pain as well. If anything, the emotional pain was hurting her more than her leg was. 

She couldn't see them, but she could hear someone coming towards her. She assumed it was one of the members of the team who had gotten out of the debris, but then she realized that the compound had been blown up, and there were enemies nearby. They may have seen her and were going to attack her while she was vulnerable. 

She heard someone yelling her name, and then she heard the sound of feet hitting the ground, and it was getting louder by the second. "Hope!" 

The next second, she felt someone trying to pick her up. She started to fight back, but she was in too much pain to do more than struggle. "Hope, stop! Hope, it's me!" She stopped immediately. 

She forced her eyes open, and there he was. "Hey, it's okay. I'm here." Scott said. He wiped the tears off her cheek. She was speechless. 

"Scott, what happened? How did you get out?" She asked, wrapping her arms around him, tears flowing from her eyes. 

"That's all thanks to you." He said smiling. He pointed to the mountain of debris, where she had unknowingly dug a hole, an ant-size hole to be exact. "I was able to shrink last second and then a few moments later, a hole appeared in the wall. It took a few minutes for me to gather my strength, but I made it out." 

"I didn't know if you'd made it out or not. I didn't know if..." His voice broke. He couldn't even finish the sentence. If she hadn't made it out, he didn't know what he would've done.

"Don't ever scare me like that again!" She said, now crying as well as laughing in relief. "I'll try my best." He said, still smiling. It was impossible not to smile. They were both alive, and the fact that she was close to him again made everything better. 

Well, almost everything. Hope tried to get up, and then she remembered why she was on the ground in the first place. She winced as the pain shot through her leg once again. Scott mentally facepalmed. He'd forgotten all about her leg. 

"Scott, I can't walk." 

"I know, just hang on. Maybe I can reach someone over the radio." He said, and then he put his helmet back on. "Can anyone hear me?" 

"I can hear you, Scott. Are you out of the debris?" Tony asked. 

"Yes, Hope and I both made it out. But Hope's leg is broken. She needs help."

"Okay, where are you guys?" 

"Um... I can't tell, but we're close to the road." Scott answered.

"Got it, I think I see you."

Scott took off his helmet and told her, "Tony's on his way, he'll be here any second." She nodded. And a few seconds later, Tony landed next to them. 

"Good to see that you two are okay. We think that Clint, Rhodey, Bruce, Rocket, and Nebula are still down there, but I'm sure they're fine. So what's this about a broken leg?" Tony asked, rambling in traditional Tony Stark style. "Friday, Do a med scan." 

"Yes, boss. Scan complete." 

"Read off results." 

"Right leg broken and right wrist fractured," Friday said. 

"Well, one thing's for sure. We have to get you out of here before the fighting starts." Tony said. "What fighting?" Hope asked. "Trust me, you're better off not knowing." He said, his expression grim. 

"So where would she be safe?" Scott asked. "There's a safe house about a mile from here. She should be safe there." Tony answered. 

Scott nodded and turned to face Hope. He knelt next to her and said, "Tony's going to take you to a safe house. You'll be safe there." 

"Normally I'd argue, but I've also never had a broken leg this bad before. So if you think that would be best, I'll do it." 

He smiled, but deep down he knew she didn't mean it. She didn't want to leave him. And he was right. Hope tried to look like she was fine, but inside she was a nervous wreck. What fight was Tony talking about? Would Scott have to fight as well? And if so, who would he be fighting? She didn't want to leave him after what happened. They had almost lost each other. But now was not the time to play the damsel in distress. 

As if reading her mind, he said, "I'll be fine. I just want to make sure you're not in harm's way." "I know. But if something does happen, just remember the fighting techniques I showed you." She said. 

"Not to rush anything, but we have to get going. The fighting's about to start, and this place is going to be a war zone." Tony said. 

"Stay safe." She said to Scott. "I will." He promised. They shared a small kiss, and then Tony flew her to the safe house.

                                                                       Author's Note

Did you really think I was about to kill off Scott? You should know me better than that. Really, you should have seen this coming. But the next chapter's coming soon!