Chapter Twelve: Affinity

A/: I reached 1K views. Thank you guys so so much. This means a lot to me. :') also can I thank RachelBrooke9 for a lovely message that inspired me to update today :)

Chapter Twelve: ~Melina

I remember when I was younger and had just discovered I could heal people. Matt had put me to work immediatley. At first I had just worked in the infirmary, healing any injured wolves or learning about illnesses and how to harness my power. It was all very simple. Healing was one of the most basic forms of magic and used so little energy. I could literally do it with my eyes closed. The process was simple and I soon had it mastered. Any sort of healing became next to nothing to me.

Then one day everything changed. Matt took me to the holding cells and I would be told to stand there. I didn't know why at first but then he pulled one of the prisoners out and into the open where I could see. I stood and watched as he tortured the prisoners over and over. There was so much blood and just before death could claim them he would have me heal them.

The process would go on and on. There was always so much blood, sometimes I'd be too late and they would die. It killed me seeing them die or go through so much just for his sick pleasure. I hated the idea of death and destruction a lot quicker after that. It made me feel sick, but I guess at the time I put up with it because Matt was the only one who really made me feel welcome in my old pack.

Now standing in the cell I realise that maybe I was grateful for Matt putting me through so much crap. It made what I would be doing a whole lot easier.

"What do you mean you cursed him?" Tate asks.

"He cannot die Tate." I reply. "He can feel the pain but he will never be able to die. It's a curse known as the nāve lāsts. It's Latvian for death curse I believe or at least google translate said so. I had to look it up when it was wrote in the books."

"Why?" He asks.

"Why what?"

"Why did you curse him?"

"Did you know Killian has this exact curse on him? That a witch used this curse on him but for what no one knows. That's why, I want to find a way to break it. That and there is a war upcoming Tate. If I can do this spell successfully over and over on hundreds of wolves we might actually have a chance of fighting the witches and winning this damn war."

"Is the spell immune to the magic witches possess?" Tate asks.

"I don't know. It is against a lot of things but I'm not sure about witch magic. Each witch has one affinity. Something they are strongest in. They usually discover it after their eighteenth or according to the book they do. The affinity is the one thing that is their speciality and is often so unique. Affinities are never the same and if they are the strengths vary greatly. So even if they are resistant to my magic they may not be to another witches. That and I don't know how strong it is against magic. It kinda depends on my own will and strength. It is literally a matter of circumstances."

"So we could still die even if this fails?" He asks me.

"Yeah, we still could." I mutter.

"Great bloody great."

"Look Tate I am trying to find a way for us to survive. I want to be a part of this pack dammit and as Luna it is my job to do that." I shout. "Let me do my job as Luna please. It's bad enough Killian won't actually make me a part of this pack until after the war, that and he's been ignoring me. I don't need this shit going on."

"You're gonna make such a good Luna." Tate says smiling at me. I see regret in his eyes and I sigh.

"I'm glad someone thinks so." I mutter before turning back to the injured prisoner. He's glaring at me panting a little bit.