Chapter 16

Next day Mother's arrival
Next day I took half day off as I want to properly welcome my mom. I saw Priya was watching over everything according to my mother's liking. Her work at kitchen finished and her just about to go to room to change that's when the bell rang. She ran to the room to change and freshen up. I opened the door. My mom inspected the house with her eyes and came to sit in the couch.
Mrs. Wilson - Everything looks great but why did you only welcomed me? Why isn't she here? Doesn't she like the idea of me coming here?
At that time she was coming down after changing. But she didn't wear any dress or put on any makeup. Her fresh bare face, her comfy oversized cloths. She was looking unreal. I was looking at her only. I noticed my mother was also looking her more like observing her. She came towards us saying,
Priya - I am extremely sorry. I went to get change after finishing the kitchen work.
Then she came to my mom and touched her feet. My mother got startled first but I explained her that it's a way to show respect to the elders.
Mrs. Wilson - Ok. Come here. Sit.
She went to the other sit my mother shown her to sit.
Mrs. Wilson - So tell me something about yourself. Starting with your name. What's your name!
Adonis - Mom! Are you taking some interview?
Priya - It's ok. We haven't introduced properly. Mrs. Wilson, my name is Priyadarshini Majumder, 28. From West Bengal, Indian.
Mrs. Wilson - What about your education and family?
Priya - I basically belong from a middle class Bengali family. My father passed away 9years ago due to an accident. My mother is an homemaker. My elder brother works for a private firm. I am a graduate and have honours in Indian classical dance. I am currently a dance teacher.
Mrs. Wilson - Oh. Middle class girl. That means you married my son for money.
My mother just blurted out. I was shocked! I have never seen my mother talks like that! I got angry. I looked at Priya apologetically. She was too taken back. I know for sure she also felt insulted. Her face became red. But she took a deep breath and calmly said,
Priya - Sorry Mrs. Wilson but if that was my goal in life I could have many options that I already rejected. I am an independent woman and I am capable enough to bear my own expenses. Also it's true that I never had luxury that you have. But my parents taught me values. They also taught me that one should spread their legs according to the length of the bedsheet. So I know how to live according to my earnings. Well I am sorry if any of my words seemed rude to you. Please excuse me. You came a long time now. Please let me get you something to drink. You must have been tired.
My mother just nodded. She looked at me I smiled at her. I know maybe what she said sound rude, but the politeness and calmness in her voice and gesture, it didn't seem or sound rude in any way or manner. I look at my mom. She also form a smile at her. Then she went to kitchen.
Mrs. Wilson - Don't mind me son. I don't want you to get hurt in any way or form. That's why I wanted to put her on pressured situation to see her nature. Don't ask me till now. I have a whole week to see her.
Priya *comes with a tray with 3 glass of refreshing drink* - Here. Please get refreshed first.
Mrs. Wilson - We have maids for that you know.
Priya - I know Mrs. Wilson. But they can serve when any guest will come. But you are not a guest. You are his mom. Moms are not guest. So serving them is not an embarrassment.
I am amazed by how she handling my mom so far so calmly. I was also looking at my mom. She was secretly smiling. I got a bit relaxed.
After awhile of this tensed chat we had our breakfast. Then we took our mom to her room to let her rest. After that I apologised to Priya for my mother's behavior. Surprisingly she wasn't offended. She guessed the exact reason why my mother was behaving like that. I felt nothing but pure respect and proud that I chose the right person for myself. That day went not so bad. We locked the door before we went to sleep as no one specially my mom should see us sleeping in different bed.