15

ϟ  Ares  ϟ

After I dropped Mia off at school, I was going to talk to her dad. He said he wanted to meet, and I also had a few things that I wanted to say to him myself.

She was in the shower right now, so I was waiting on my bed for her. Her dad doing that shit to her made me realize I can't be like that too. I don't want to be somebody who constantly breaks the law around her and risks getting arrested again. I can tell that's what she's afraid of.

She's scared of her dad going back to jail. And she doesn't need to worry about that happening to me, either. 

So I guess Sean can fucking live.

Even though my lips twitch up in a smile at the thought of him dead.

I heard the water turn off, followed by the sound of the shower curtain moving. 

She came out a few minutes later, completely dressed, and her wet hair brushed. She complained, "You need a hairdryer."

"Noted."

I stood up off of the bed, heading downstairs with her.

I knew that I was going to pick her up after, so I didn't even bother asking. She got out once I parked, and I waited until she was inside the doors to pull away. 

I drove to her dad's house, entering without knocking. I heard shuffling in the living room, and then he came into my view, "Ares, my brother. You want a beer?"

"Nah, I got to pick Mia up from school in a few hours."

"Right. Thanks for letting her stay with you. She freaked out the other night," he chuckled, walking back over to the couch and sitting himself down.

I slowly walked over but remained standing. I defended her, "She's just worried about you going back to prison, that's all."

"Yeah, well, let's be honest. I will eventually," he shrugged.

I looked him up and down, wondering how he didn't take Mia's feelings into account. I asked him, "Don't you want to be here for her? You missed her 21st birthday, but you can still be there for her 22nd."

"No offense Ares, but I don't need a parenting lecture right now. I love my daughter, and she knows that. Now, has everything been okay with her? No attacks or anything?" he quickly dismisses what I say. It makes me roll my eyes.

I shook my head, "No. Did you deal with that guy?"

"Yup."

I nodded.

He burped after taking a sip of beer, and I fought back a face of disgust. He was far more tolerable in prison. But I guess in prison you aren't the same person as you are on the outside.

He told me, "Oh, I'm going to be out of town tonight. So can you spend the night here with Mia? You can sleep in the spare bedroom."

I paused for a moment. Like hell I'd sleep in a different room than her. 

"Sure," I replied.

Kissing Mia last night will either be the worst decision I've ever made or the best. 

"I'll see you around," I said to him, turning and walking back toward the front door.

Before she finished class, I had some time to kill, so I headed for the store. I had everything written on the notes app on my phone and wandered around the store while I looked.

As I slowly found everything, I put everything in my kart. 

"Your total will be $2107.89, please," the cashier told me.