17

I walked along the sidewalk with Natalie, the bright sun shining down on us.

She looked over at me and asked, "So, how's your bodyguard?"

I pursed my lips for a second. The feeling of his lips on mine flashed through my head, his large tattooed arms grabbing fistfuls of my hair.

"Fine," I settled for. 

"If I were you, I'd put myself in danger just so he'd come to the rescue," she dramatically put her hand to her forehead. "oh my gosh, Ares, come save me!"

"Shut up," I laughed, bumping into her as we continued walking.

"Where are you guys going again?"

"I don't know. He wouldn't tell me," I shrugged.

We took a seat on the public bench, the sound of cars driving and honking filling the air. Ares was coming to pick me up soon, and we're going God knows where. If it's to collect more money, I will talk his ear off the entire drive.

"So you guys haven't....done anything?" Natalie asked, a little quiet so that nobody around us could hear. 

"Well," I start, but then pause, while I debate on telling her. "We kissed. But that's it."

"Shut up!" her jaw dropped. "And how was it?"

"Really good," I confessed, although I wished the answer was different.

"So...you want to do more than a kiss?" she asked, the warm air blowing our hair around.

"I don't know, Natalie," I sigh. 

"You have to know, Mia. I just think you don't wanna admit it," she shrugged, pressing her palms against the bench.

I didn't reply. As the sun hit my skin, I ignored her words. 

It's not a secret that I think Ares is handsome. He's so much taller than me, and he has muscles that prove he's been working out for five years. His personality challenged mine. I liked that, but I also hated it at the same time. 

But I'm just somebody he has to protect for money to him. I couldn't imagine him thinking these things about me, when I'm just me.

A familiar car parked in front of me and Ares rolled down his window. He said to me, "Come on, it's gonna storm later."

I pushed myself up and hugged Natalie goodbye.

I got into the passenger's side, and he waited to start driving until I had my seatbelt on. He began to drive, and I asked him, "So, does that mean we're doing something outside?"

"Mhm."

I nodded.

"You stole my blanket last night, by the way," I told him.

He glanced at me, "No, I fuckin' didn't. You shivered once, so I took your blanket and put a warmer one on you."

My heart warmed for a second. Is this what a friendship was like? Were we even friends, when half the time I can't stand him? But the other half...the other half is so good. 

After a while of driving, we pulled into a dirt parking lot. I saw the water in the distance and asked, "Are we at the beach?"

"No, we're at a fucking unicorn farm," he responded sarcastically. "I brought you a bathing suit."

He reached into the back of the car and pulled out one of my bathing suits. He pointed to the restrooms and said, "Change in there. I'll wait outside for you."

We got out of the car, walking along the sand toward the restrooms. I smiled slightly to myself, remembering that I told him the beach makes me happy.

"What if some old lady attacks me while I'm in there?" I asked him.