25

ϟ Ares ϟ

Chicago Prison

Release day.

You'd think I'd be more excited to get out. I've been in the same four-cornered cell for the past five years. I turned 19 in here, 20, 21, 22, 23. The years went on and on, and I kept imagining the day that I'd get let out.

I killed my brother. I killed my father. But H and I pinned in on a different guy, who should be in jail anyway. We've been planning this for years, making sure never to mess up. It took five fucking years for it to work.

And now I'm walking down the hallway. Walking to freedom, passing by people who will spend the rest of their lives in here, who were wishing so badly right now that they were me.

And yet, I can't even bring myself to fucking smile.

I stopped walking in front of the guard who stood before the door. He held out a bag of clothes for me to take, "Good luck out there, Montgomery."

I gave him a nod, taking the bag of clothes.

I entered a room, and the worker told me, "Strip search."

I rolled my eyes. I pulled off my clothes, walked over to the cement wall, and pressed my hands against it. He walked over, checking my naked body for anything I could be sneaking out with me. As he touched around, I spoke sarcastically, "Careful. Might start to think you have a crush on me, sweetheart."

He spat, "Shut the fuck up."

I rolled my eyes. He cleared me, and I was free to change into the dull black clothing, which I did.

Two guards walked me to another door. As I stepped out, the sun was so blinding that I needed to squint my eyes. They walked me toward the fence, and I saw H standing on the other side. Once the gate opened and I stepped through it, I was officially free.

"Ares Montgomery!" H smiled, pulling me into a hug.

I patted his back once before he pulled away. His car was parked behind him, and we waited until we got in to start talking. I haven't been in a car in 5 years.

As we drove down the road, he spoke excitedly, "You're finally fucking free, man! What do you want to do first? Where do you want to go, McDonald's? Wendy's? Hooters?"

A smirk formed on his face and he nudged me when he said Hooters.

"Just drop me off at my house," I replied emotionlessly.

He rolled his eyes, "Come on, man. You're back; make the most out of your freedom."

Maybe I would if I had anything good in my life.

"Not hungry. Just drop me off at home."

He looked annoyed but did as I asked. I stared at my house, feeling like this wasn't reality. The last time I was here was the morning before I killed them.

I got out of my car without another word. Entering my house felt like I was entering a different dimension. I looked around, feeling disgusted at the pictures on the wall. After getting out of jail, most people would eat, take a hot shower, and sleep.

But I did none of that.

I spent hours removing every article of clothing that belonged to my family. I ripped every picture off of the wall and threw them out. I completely rid the house of their presence and put the garbage bag out on the road for it to get taken on Tuesday.

I had spent hours doing that.

But I still felt numb.

I want to feel something. So I went to the only place I knew would make me feel.