43

1 year later.

The warm breeze made its way into our bedroom, the salty smell of the air reaching our noses.

Ares let out a yawn as he walked out of the connecting bathroom, taking a seat down on the bed beside me. I looked over at him, noticing the stressed look on his face.

I asked him, "What is it?"

"Do you think she liked me?" he asked, and I instantly knew what he was talking about.

I pushed myself up, looking at him in his eyes. I told him with complete certainty, "Yes, she loved you. She even called you A, and my mom never gives people nicknames!"

We landed in Fiji this morning, and Ares spent the entire drive from the airport to my house stressing himself out about meeting my mom. Since I just graduated college, we were finally able to come to Fiji.

How worried he was about my mom not liking him made my heart swell a little. It meant a lot to me that he cared so much.

He let out a sigh, nodding his head slightly. I looked around at my old bedroom, the gross blue color of the walls making me miss our bedroom in Chicago even more. We completely redid his bedroom, changing the color of everything and getting new furniture.

At first, it was fun because I would take handfuls of paint and throw them at him. But after my fifth time doing that, he picked up a container of the paint and dumped it right over my head. It took me so long to get it out in the shower - well, I should say that it took him so long. Because I made him wash my hair.

The oven in the kitchen beeped, and my face lit up. I said cheerfully, "It's ready!"

"Do you want to eat it on the beach?" he asked me, gesturing his head towards the ocean view.

I nodded as we exited my room, walking into the kitchen. I put on oven mitts before pulling the cherry pie out of the oven, placing it on the counter to cool down for a second.

My grandma entered the kitchen, a smile on her face forming once she saw Ares. She smiled at him, "Are you liking it here?"

"It's beautiful," he nodded.

My grandma did one of her sweet smiles, putting her hand on his shoulder as she walked past him. While entering the living room she called out to us, "Ares, you're my favorite son-in-law!"

"That's great to hear because the competition was crazy," he joked, making my grandma laugh.

I smiled at their conversation. My family really does love him.

My dad is still in jail, he got convicted for multiple things and is serving a 15-year sentence. By the time he gets out, Ares and I will probably have 2 kids by then.

Hopefully.

Once the pie was cool, I picked it up, and Ares opened the door for me. 

I held the pie in my hands, the sweet cherry scent filling my nose as we made our way down to the beach. The sand was soft and warm against my feet, and the sound of waves crashing provided me with a calm feeling.

Once we were in front of the water, Ares laid a towel down for us to sit on. We sat on the towel, and I put the cherry pie and forks in between us.

I looked out at the ocean water, looking at the kids in the distance that swam in it.

I turned and smiled at him, "You wanna go in?"

He looked at how many other people were in the water, and once it saw that it was a lot, he agreed. We ate some of the cherry pie before pulling our clothes off, revealing the bathing suits that we had on underneath.

I held onto his hand as we walked into the salty water, the temperature of it giving me goosebumps at first. We walked fully in, and I submerged my head under the water, wiping my eyes once I came back up to the surface.

I looked out at the ocean and asked him, "What if a shark just came up to us and took me away?"

"Wouldn't happen," he shook his head.

"Okay, shark expert," I smirked. "And why's that?"

He swam closer to me, putting his hands on my waist underneath the water. He kissed my lips gently before pulling away and looking me in my eyes, "Because nothing could take you from me. I've wanted you to be mine for way longer than you know."

The corners of my mouth tugged up in a smile. I asked, "Nothing?"

"Nothing. Ever since your dad showed me that picture of you while we were in prison, I knew you were the most beautiful girl alive."

My jaw dropped slightly as I smiled. He never told me that.

"Then how come you weren't nicer to me when we first met?" I smiled, speaking in a teasing tone.

He rolled his eyes, "Oh, because you were so nice to me when we first met."

"I was! Well...sort of."

He smiled one of his smiles that I love so much. He said gently, "I'm never letting you go, Mia. I'll never live a day without you."

I put my arms around his neck, the waves hitting us slightly but not making us move. I looked up at him, my voice quieter than I expected it to be, "You love me that much?"

He kissed me again, this time for longer. I felt my wedding ring against his skin as I kissed him back, the bright Fiji sun shining down onto us.

He pulled away, taking a second to speak. He placed his hands on the sides of my face, staring at me as if he were admiring a piece of art.

"This is more than just love, Mia," he told me with certainty. 

His thumbs brushed my cheeks while he held me close to him.

He finished his sentence, "It's an obsession."

The End. 

«────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ──────»

♡ 𝐈𝐟 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐞𝐧𝐣𝐨𝐲𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐛𝐨𝐨𝐤, 𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐜𝐤 𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐦𝐲 𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐛𝐨𝐨𝐤𝐬. 𝐈 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐚 𝐥𝐨𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐦. ♡