Epilogue (5) Finale

Aaron

I haven't heard of anything from Lia after Thea told me Kyle and her filed the annulment.

No one could reach her.

For years.

It's like she disappeared from our lives forever.

But I wasn't giving up.

It's the first time I understood myself. It's the first time I'm willing to gamble everything I've got.

Just for her. Only her.

"You're on OT again?" Belle asked, rolling her eyes.

Her stomach's always popping out because she's always wearing crop tops. In her defense, maternity clothing is gross and she will never wear it.

"Yes," I said and left her to do my rounds.

She's been together with Oli for so long. I've been waiting for them to get married but Belle said marriage is not her thing.

I'm even surprised Oli agreed with her. I know how badly he wants a family of his own. But I guess he loves Belle so much to even disagree with her.

"Snob! I had something to tell you but you ignored me!" Belle threw a tantrum.

I closed my eyes and smiled calmly. Calm down, Aaron, she's pregnant.

"What is it?" I asked, looking straight in her eyes.

"I was going to tell you I know where Lia is but..."

My lips parted. She knows?

But even before I can ask questions, she left the room where I'm in.

So moody.

I followed her out and held her shoulders.

"Hey, careful with her." Oli warned.

He just finished his shift and is now writing on our log book.

"Sorry... what do you know?" I prodded.

"She's in Rizal. Starting a new life." I wait for her to tell me more but she just smiled and tapped my shoulders. "Go and see for yourself."

--

My heart was beating so fast as I look at the small house outside.

Is this the right address?

Maybe I should ask around.

I was about to drive off to ask around when I saw her come out the house. She looked at my car, confused.

I sold my old jeep and bought an SUV. That jeep just reminded me of her. I only bought it for her.

But it's been years.

I was contemplating if I want to go out and greet her.

Is this the right thing to do?

Without thinking of anything else, I took the bouquet of flowers and went out.

Her eyes widened when she saw me.

I forced out a smile.

Five years. Five years, Aaron.

I've always been confused my whole life, but with her, I'm sure. Shoot your shot.

I walked towards her and handed her the flowers.

"Ma," A little girl hugged her legs.

Mom?

Does she have a family?

I knew this is a bad idea.

"Gusto mong pumasok?" She asked me with a warm smile.

Will I find her new husband inside?

My jaw clenched. Five years. Five years.

I let her be with Kyle because I know she's happy with him. I never wanted to take her happiness away from her. Even if she told me she's also in love with me, I didn't do anything, because it's wrong.

But now?

Ah, shit.

"Pasok ka,"

I smiled and followed her.

The house was small but it's modern looking.

I sat on one of the sofas. The little girl sat next to me. "Ano ka ni Mama?"

"Suitor," I told her with a smile.

"Ano yun?"

I chuckled. "Manliligaw,"

"Ah,"

"Where's your Papa?" I asked.

I needed to be sure if I was ruining a family. Because if I am, I'll stop this nonsense. I'm not the type to ruin a family.

"Wala akong Papa. Si Mama lang meron ako simula nung bata pa ako."

She's so good at speaking Tagalog. When I was her age, I keep getting tongue tied.

Lia emerged from the kitchen, holding a pitcher of orange juice.

Orange juice.

But I'm not happy.

"Oscar told me to give you orange juice when we meet."

Were they meeting?

"Does he know you're here?"

"Hindi, matagal na yun. Five years ago pa. Nag usap kasi muna kami bago ako umalis."

"Oh..."

I drank the orange juice and the little girl joined us.

"So..." I trailed.

I wasn't used to this kind of silence. I wanted to ask her so much. I missed her.

"How have you been?" She asked.

"Oh, I'm fine, I'm fine. Our hospital's functioning well."

"That's nice to hear."

"You?"

She smiled and looked at her daughter lovingly. She combed her hair using her hands. "Eto, masaya."

"That's... good."

Silence enveloped us for a few minutes until she spoke. "I realized na... minsan yung happiness, hinahanap mo sa iba, pero di mo alam nasayo lang pala yun."

A smile escaped my lips. What she said answered my thousand questions.