Part 9 - Two tomatoes

Human beings are complicated creatures, they can say something and think another, they can smile on the outside and cry on the inside, and they can tell you something one week and tell you the contrary seven days later.

I was planning on following my mom's advice and stop coming home almost every weekend but just as I was applying this new rule she called me up and said they wanted to see me before I leave for Japan next week.

"Where's Marylou?" I ask my complicated human being of a mom.

"She's with her friends, a birthday I believe...she'll be back for dinner," she replies absentmindedly, "I'm really glad you brought Tom along," I follow her gaze and stumble upon Mr Blizzard.

My dad invited him again, he said 'his expertise is one of the best!' The more I know about this boy the more I'm convinced he's not human but out of a fantasy novel, how on earth can he be better than my dad at his job even though he's still a student!!?

I watch them talking, my dad pats Tom's shoulder and I can see him tense. It's always funny to watch because Tom is always too polite and respectful to tell them what he really thinks, something like 'get your hand off me right this instant.'

He's like trapped. My dad is someone in the insurance world and Tom would be dumb to refuse a meeting with him, he's not stupid, he knows my dad has many things to teach him. However, he can't do anything about my father treating him like a son, finally one of his children who is interested in his job.

Marylou and I made it clear that we would never take over his company after he retires. Marylou has her own plan of life and I just don't understand a thing about insurance...Nor do I intend to learn.

As I discreetly smirk at the sight of Tom about to lose his nerves as my dad keeps tapping his shoulder, talking to him from very close and laughing out loud every two words my mom calls out to him:

"Tom darling!"

'Darling' bwahahaha

"You are staying for dinner tonight aren't you?"

"WHAT THE-"

"Language," my mom warns.

"...zloom," what the zloom? Umm...why not.

"I wouldn't want to impose my presence," he sounds polite again and suddenly I feel like damning this trap he's in because he just can't say NO.

"Nonsense! You're staying for dinner, it's decided!" Mom claps her hands together and then walks over to the kitchen, probably to tell Fanny our cook to count Tom in for tonight.

I need a break... I stand up from my chair and make my way to the garden of our mansion, autumn is finally here and all the trees are taking the orangish colour that I love.

I'm feeling this weird nostalgia of the good old high school days, but there's definitely some positive points about PAAZ.

Our first school trip for instance. Two weeks in Japan, one in Tokyo, we're mostly gonna visit the city but also some important companies and infrastructures and the other near Kyoto, where we're gonna have more time to relax and do what we want. Perks of being in a rich ass college hehe, I'm excited.

I'm glad because Kala will be there. As part of the school administration I had a seat in that plane toward paradise from the beginning but Kala has had to fight for it and the tigress that she is, made it.

William and Lin will be there too and so will Tom...Let me tell you that he's not that happy, he doesn't like the idea of a break, says it's just a waste of time. Moron.

Something changed between us, I can feel it, he's not just a freaking block of ice anymore, I always do my best to like everyone and it's like he's finally giving me a good reason to like him.