RESPITE (Kakashi x OC)

That lazy man. Ugh, I can't believe he's not here yet. Damn, how much has he deteriorated since he resigned from the Anbu? I told him specifically to meet me at the Ao gate this morning, so we could spend some time together before I leave for another mission in the borderlands. It's already been almost an hour since the designated time.

Since Uchiha Itachi's attack with his Mangekyo, I heard Kashi's been in the hospital. My squad member-heard he's going with the name Yamato these days- has already left with Kakashi's team on some secret mission. At least that's what Lady Tsunade told me.

Now that he's free for a few days, I thought I'll hang out with my favourite senpai for a while. What a huge blunder I've made. I sigh, maybe I should've just hung out with Asuma and Kurenai. It's refreshing to see the two lovebirds try pathetically to impress each other. Haha.

I just sit on the walls, watching the village go about its daily routine. It has been quite some time since I last came home. I just didn't realise how much I missed it until I came back. I lie on my back and stare at the sky. The light blue patched in white looks dreamy and mysterious. Birds flew in flocks, migrating back to the Land of Fire after another freezing winter. The sun rays were not too hot nor too dull, just the right temperature, like the beginning of spring. My eyelids felt heavy, there was no need to stay sharp in the safety of Konoha, so I let my eyes slide close without fear.

I was wrong. Kakashi turned up sometime later. I woke up with a jerk. Being in the Anbu, my body has been trained to wake up immediately at the slightest disturbances. And in my case, it's that Bakashi. (did u get that? baka + kakashi = bakashi)

'Ah. Looks like I've woken you up. Sorry for the delay. You see, an old lady wanted some help-'

'Yeah. Yeah. Now shut up.' I got on my feet and stretched. My joints popped, and my body relaxed. 

'So you finally decided, to show.' I twist my body intending to knock him down with my fists. But as always, he jumps from my reach. This has become more of a weird welcome gesture between us now. 

'Well looks like you haven't changed one bit.' Kakashi sits on the watchtower grinning like an idiot. I got to say, he can express more emotions than any other person, with his mask revealing only his right eye!

'Well I can see that you've changed, now get the hell down here.'

***

We just hang out the whole morning, talking about all that has happened in the past two years. I tell him about the time I had to stay awake for two whole days watching over some rogue ninja. Those idiots were planning to plunder a weak, defenceless village. This was troublesome as the radio headsets were out of range, so far away in that remote village. With low personnel in the Anbu spread far and thin, I knew it wasn't worth it to call for backup. And with the Akatsuki on the move, it was a pretty sticky situation. I lost patience on the third day and brought them down. And the rest is history.

When I ask Kakashi about his students his face fell but he covered it immediately with one of his smiles. 'They are all special kids, unique in their own way. But things have gone a little downhill. After Lord Third's assassination,' I take in a sharp breath. 'One of them was kidnapped by Orochimaaru.' 

Sasuke Uchiha

The only Uchiha alive after his older brother slaughtered the entire clan. 

So that's why Kakashi is upset. I try to say something, but he beats me to it.

'The other two are doing exceptionally well though! One of them is learning under Lord Jiraiya and the other is an apprentice of Lady Tsunade!'

He was smiling, but I could hear the sadness in his voice. Just how much did he change after he quit the Anbu?