a sip of vinegar (Wei Wuxian x Lan Wanji)

for aarthitae

The Yiling Patriach and Hanguang-jun were out night-hunting in the remote areas of Yunmeng when the call came about several fierce corpses wreaking havoc in a mountain top village. The mighty couple swiftly reached the remote area, eliminating the malicious roaming the area. As a token of thanks the villagers had set up a late-night party for the cultivators.

Drums and flutes and fiddles played in the night. Everyone sat around a blazing bonfire. Cheers rang around as Wei Wuxian and Lan Wanji took their seats beneath a beautiful flowering tree. 

"They really shouldn't have done all this for us Lan Zhan."

"Mn. It is too much."

Wei Wuxian sighed. He leaned against his his husband's shoulder, listening to the songs sung around the fire. The elders arrived last. Both men got on their feet to pay their respects.

"Please rest here and enjoy the night Yiling Laozu, Hanguang-jun," bowed the elder woman.

"It is an honour Madam," Wei Wuxian bowed. 

Once everyone had settled, food was distributed. Wei Wuxian promptly ate his and got on his feat. The girls in the village had asked him to come join them dancing earlier and he couldn't turn them down.

"Wei Ying."

Lan Wanji wiped away the little red bean paste that was stuck on Wei Wuxian's cheek then kissed his hands before letting him go. Wei Wuxian grinned and let the girls lead him to the bonfire.

What he didn't know was that the great Hanguang-jun really wanted Wei Wuxian to ask him to dance too.

***

Wei Wuxian picked up the dance quickly. It wasn't so difficult and he'd always had a good sense of balance. In his previous life, he used to join the Wen's around the campfire. Wen Qing was the most stubborn among them all, never dancing one bit. He let the sweetness of those memories warm him, leaving behind all the pain of his past.

Wei Wuxian swayed, dancing with the music and jumped around the rocks that had everyone cheering in awe.

As the night drew in the elders and parents returned to their homes, dragging their children who wanted to stay up some more. But children shouldn't witness the spoils of the youth just yet.

The atmosphere changed once the young and old had left. Cheerful music turned to sensual beats. Young men got on their feet, taking their women for a dance. Unknown to them all another man stood up to claim his husband.

Lan Zhan spotted his husband making his way toward him. He smiled, eager to dance with him. 

"Wei Yi-"

But a girl struck before he could even call out for his husband. She offered him a dance and Wei Wuxian being Wei Wuxian took her hand, oblivious to the situation around him.

The music quietened, and a very slow, lustful music was played. Everyone began dancing.  The dance grew sensual with every beat and moment. Lan Zhan wanting watched in anger as the girl twirled around Wei Wuxian. 

And to his horror, his Wei Ying twirled her around too! 

He couldn't watch anymore. He quietly slipped away, hurt that his husband was out playing with those girls. His heart bled as he trudged to a lonely edge at the end of the village. Cold wind ruffled through his clothes, chilling his heart till it hurt.