Chapter 1:

Katniss POV:

Today was the day of the reaping. I promised Prim that I would make sure that she will not go into the hunger games. Then she asked me to promise that I wouldn't be picked. I said, with my heart breaking, that I couldn't promise that. I could see some tears about to spill overboard but I also saw understanding in her eyes.

I pulled Prim into a giant hug and let her cry. I told her everyone has a right to cry of this matter because of course, it's the brutal hunger games.

In the square, I didn't pay attention to anything that our escort, Effie Trinket, said. But I am 99% sure that I could've guessed what she was saying.

Before I came to my senses, I heard Prim's name being called. What?? This was absolutely NOT supposed to happen! I was supposed to protect Prim with my life! Before I knew what I was doing, I was screaming at the top of my lungs, "Prim!! Prim!! I volunteer! I volunteer as a tribute!" Effie smiled and let Gale, my hunting partner, take Prim back to our mom. Then Effie said, "Well come on up dear, tell us your name." I stepped up and in a shaky voice, I said, "K-Katniss Everdeen." I tried to look confident and sure of myself but I wasn't anymore sure of myself than I looked.

"Well thank you, Katniss  and now for the boys. I zoned out on the boys and then found myself shaking hands with Peeta Mellark. Oh no! Not Peeta! I thought to myself.

In the second grade, Peeta made fun of my family being so poor. I've hated Peeta Mellark ever since.

Soon I was in the Justice building saying goodbye and then I was pushed on to the train. Yep, I just won a free ticket to the Hunger Games.