Chapter 49

HANNAH

Not so surprisingly, Mister Fischer called my mom after my "little" outburst in his office and he suspended me for two weeks. He said I need to "rethink" my behavior and the way I speak to my superiors. So, they didn't understand shit about how I feel, my past and my problems—as I figured. They're adults after all, what can I expect?

My mom—as the excellent kiss-ass and actress she is—told him she would do anything for me to improve my behavior and manners. She also said that she'll make sure I use these weeks to reflect and apologize to him and Daniela Salvatierra. After that little chat, my mom yelled at me and cursed me for being—and I quote—the worst daughter a mother could possibly have. Oddly, she didn't mention anything about the bracelet and my dad, and I didn't either. I didn't want to start an endless argument with her.

Of course after that she forced me to leave the hotel and go back home, so she could "keep an eye on me" during my suspension. I didn't argue with that—although I really wanted to—since I don't have money to pay for my room anymore. Now I'm packing my stuff to leave the hotel and go back to my mom's dungeon—sorry, house. So... yeah, I'm doing great as you can see.

I finish stuffing the rest of my clothing in my case and zip it shut. I scan the room for the last time to make sure I haven't forgotten anything. Then, I grab the rest of my bags and head to the lobby, where my hateful mother is waiting for me.

I press the elevator-bottom and wait for the mechanic door to open. I look around one last time and I can't believe I'm leaving the hotel... It felt like home for the past few weeks I've been staying here. It made me feel more comfortable than my own house ever made me feel. Staying at this hotel was my first taste of freedom. It was the first time I lived all by myself and... it was where my first... kiss... took place. I shake my head and try to forget about that.

Anyway, apart from that moment, I enjoyed living in a hotel. I really enjoyed it and maybe that's why I feel so sad about leaving the hotel room number three hundred sixty-five.

The door slides open and I get my case, my bags and myself into the elevator. I press the button that says, GF—as in ground floor—and the door closes. While waiting to get to the lobby, the elevator makes a few stops and people start getting in and by the time we reach our final destination the elevator is way too crowded and I feel suffocated by all the bodies pressed against mine. This elevator is way too small for six people to fit in.

I get my stuff out of that tiny elevator and spot my mum sitting on a chair near the entrance. She's using her phone and seems like she's texting someone—maybe my dad, since they're fuck-buddies now. It's funny, though—my dad has time to fuck my mom, but doesn't have any time to be with his daughter. So funny.

I approach her and clear my throat to call her attention. She looks up to me with a disgusted look on her face—that's her usual face whenever she sees her rebellious daughter—and I say:

"Ready"

"Okay," she simply replies and stands on her feet.

We walk out of the hotel and I turn around and briefly glance at the lobby one last time.

"I'm gonna miss you so much," I say to my home in a whisper.

***

Home sweet home. Or maybe jail horrible jail. Yeah, that's better.

My mom opens the door and leaves her purse on the kitchen table. I walk in and close the door behind me.

"I'm going out," my mom informs me, while opening the door again and disappearing into the street.