Chapter One - Reader

Note: Before we begin, I would like to clarify a few things. First, although this story will contain references from the 2005 movie, all of the characters will be from the 1971 movie. There are some scenes that I cut out and some details that I've changed, but otherwise, it will follow the main plotline.  Second, there will be some questionable moments between Willy Wonka, Bill the Candyman, and the reader. Some people may take it the wrong way but I want to be perfectly clear. This story does not condone pedophilia. Period. If at anytime you feel uncomfortable with the direction of the story, you are more than welcome to stop reading. It won't hurt my feelings. Third, out of all the kids, I believe Violet deserves a chance at redemption. I absolutely love Denise Nickerson's portrayal of her. So, no Violet bashing! Finally, after Willy Wonka makes his appearance, there will be two points of view: his and the reader's. 

I pulled my frayed coat a little tighter in order to try and protect myself from the harsh wind. It barely helped. 'Just one more block and I'll be warm' I thought to myself. I looked up and saw Wonka's factory. Despite being so cold, I couldn't help but to stop and smell that delectable faint scent of chocolate. The scent alone was enough to make me smile. 'There truly is nothing better than chocolate,' I thought to myself. 'Well other than Charlie,' I chuckled. Charlie. My baby brother. He truly was the sweetest kid. He may even be sweeter than Wonka's world-famous chocolate.

I hugged my coat a little tighter as I resumed walking towards my destination. I entered Bill's candy shop and breathed a sigh of relief. This was my second favorite place in the whole world. Not that I've been anywhere else, but even if I had, I would still choose this little store over luscious lands and beautiful beaches any day. The reason why it's so special isn't because of the magnificent candy or the cheery displays. No, it's because most of my favorite memories have happened here and this is the spot where I met my absolute best friend.

Flashback (13 Years Ago)

I was running from them again. The bullies. They liked to pick on me because my family isn't the richest. My clothes are ratty, my books are second rate and to top it all off, I'm the thinnest and shortest in my class from malnutrition. This makes me the perfect victim in their eyes because I'm too small to fight back. They left me alone for the last two months because of my father's death. I felt tears spring to my eyes, and I wasn't sure if it was from the grief of losing the greatest man I had ever known, from the exertion of running or maybe a combination of both. Suddenly, I ran into something hard and fell back. I gasped as I looked up. There was a guy who was maybe ten years older than me, staring down at me with worry in his eyes. I began shaking and before I could apologize, I heard the thundering steps behind me come to a stop.

I tensed up and scampered up and behind the man I had almost run over. "Well, what's going on here?" the man asked mildly. Robbie, the ringleader and my most persistent tormenter, spoke up. "U-um. Nothing sir. We just ahhh wanted to return something to y/n." The man glanced at me before turning back to Robbie and crossing his arms. "Oh really? Well then why does y/n look so terrified?" Robbie didn't say anything and shifted from foot to foot, all the while avoiding eye contact with the man. "Sugarplum," the man glanced down at me before lifting his chin pointedly at the store behind him, "Please go inside. I'll be in in a moment. I need to have a word with these...gentlemen first."

I nodded and hurried into the store. In my rush, I almost knocked over another man. He looked like the older version of the man outside. He had the same brown hair only with grey around the edges and the same kind eyes. I could only assume that this was the younger man's father. "Whoa there speedy!" he laughed but stopped when he saw my terrified eyes. He frowned and bent down so that he was eye level with me. "What's wrong sweet pea?" That's when the waterworks came. I sobbed and launched myself into his arms. Strong arms enveloped me, and the smell of spearmint and eucalyptus tickled my nose. The tight, warm hug reminded me of my daddy and that made me cry harder. It's been two whole months since someone held me this tight.