Chapter Three - Reader

I woke up the next morning with a terrible headache. I guess going to bed crying with an empty stomach late at night is never a good idea. I glanced to my side to discover that Charlie had already left for school. I sighed as I got up and got ready to face the day.

I walked outside to find my family looking at me expectantly. "So, I take it you told him?" Grandpa Joe asked. I shook my head. "He heard everything last night. I walked in to find him crying." My family looked heartbroken at the thought. I could feel the tears welling up in my eyes again. 

Mom placed her hand on my shoulder and gently whispered, "It's okay, dear. Charlie will get his chance. You will too." I looked at her in surprise. I was never really concerned about getting a chance for myself. I was always worried about Charlie's...Still, I smiled at mom and gave her a hug before leaving to go to work.

I walked in and met Billy's glum expression with one of my own. He walked up to me and softly said, "Hey." 

"Hey," I whispered back. "Are you alright?" He looked at me with concern in his soft blue eyes. "What about Charlie? Is he alright?"

"No," I replied honestly. "But we will be. We may not have a Golden Ticket, but at least we have each other." Billy smiled softly at me. "I would take the both of you over one of those stupid tickets any day of the week." I chuckled and started to feel slightly better. I think that's what I love the most about Billy. He knows how to bring the smile back to my face when I'm feeling down.

"I have something that might cheer you up even more," Billy held out a few dollar bills and coins to me. Of course, it's pay day. Maybe I could splurge and get something for dinner besides cabbage soup for the whole family. Maybe that will cheer everybody up. I looked down to realize that there were a few dollars more than normal. "Uh, Billy," I called out to him softly. He turned around and raised an eyebrow. "You overpaid me." Billy shook his head. "No, I didn't sugarplum. That your bonus for being such a trooper throughout this whole crazy fiasco. I honestly don't know what I would have done with ya. Luckily, I'll never have to find out. You're stuck with me for life!" He winked at me. I giggled and quickly pocketed my earnings and got to work.

I had just finished up with another customer when I heard the bell ringing above the door. I glanced up to find Charlie smiling slightly at me from the other side of the counter. I immediately brightened. It was good to see him smiling again even if the smile was still a bit on the sad side. "Hi there sugarplum. What are you doing here? Don't you have to be at work soon?" I said looking at the clock. Charlie's shift normally begins at 3:30 p.m. and lasts until 5:30 p.m. The clock read 3:15 p.m.

Charlie reached into his pocket and pulled out a coin. My eyebrows raised and I almost asked where he got it from, but ultimately decided that it didn't matter. "You know how you said that it's okay to be selfish sometimes?" Charlie asked quietly. I nodded. "Well, I would like to get a chocolate bar," he looked down at his shoes guiltily. I reached across the counter and lifted his chin with my fingers.

When he met my eyes, I smiled softly and asked, "What kind of chocolate bar would you like, gumdrop?" Charlie's eyes lit up as he asked for the biggest bar. I laughed as I reached for a Scrumdidilyumptious bar and handed it to him. He gave me the coin in exchange and began tearing into the bar. As I handed him his change, I tried to get him to slow down. "Hey, hey, hey. Take it easy Charlie. You'll get a stomachache at that pace." Charlie smiled and said, "Sorry, y/n." I smiled gently at him.

"Now run along. You don't want to be late, do you?" Charlie shook his head and walked to the door. I looked back down at the cash register and began counting the bills, but I looked up when I didn't hear the bell ring. Charlie was still standing there. It looked like he was contemplating something. Finally, he seemed to make his decision and walked back towards me. "I think I'll get one more candy bar...for Grandpa Joe." I smiled at him. He was so sweet. "Okay, how about a regular Wonka bar this time, hmm?" I teased with a smile. Charlie grinned and nodded. "Sure!" I handed him the bar and he handed me what was left of his change. "Have a good day at work gumdrop!" I called out as he left. "Thanks, y/n," Charlie yelled back.