Chapter Eight - Reader

"I'm Veruca Salt," the brat spoke up in a posh accent, displaying her Golden Ticket proudly to Mr

"I'm Veruca Salt," the brat spoke up in a posh accent, displaying her Golden Ticket proudly to Mr. Wonka. I couldn't help it. I began mimicking her to Charlie who began snickering. Violet turned around when she heard Charlie's quiet laugh and, upon seeing what I was doing, giggled as well. I also thought I heard a low chuckle, but it must have been my imagination.

"My dear Veruca, what a pleasure. And how pretty you look in that lovely mink coat." Mr. Wonka brushed his hand against the front of her coat, and I tensed a bit. I mean he doesn't look like a pervert, but then again, you can never really judge a book by its cover. Veruca, however, did not seem to mind and neither did her father apparently. "I've got three others at home," she boasted.

"And Mr. Salt," Mr. Wonka said in a somewhat strained voice. "Overjoyed to meet you sir. Would you just step over there a minute?" Either Mr. Salt did not recognize that his greeting was different from his daughter's, or he just simply didn't care because after giving Mr. Wonka a firm handshake, he went and joined Veruca by the entrance door with a smile on his face.

Augustus was next. 

"Augustus Gloop," he proclaimed while eyeing Mr

"Augustus Gloop," he proclaimed while eyeing Mr. Wonka greedily almost as if Mr. Wonka himself was edible. Even though I was still sore about his actions earlier, I started to feel uncomfortable on his behalf. Mr. Wonka, though, didn't even flinch. Instead, he smirked at the boy and said, "Augustus, my dear boy, how good to see you...and in such fine shape." He said patting Augustus' bloated stomach. I snorted. Did he just call him fat directly to his face? I hid my grin behind my hand. "And this must be the radiant Mrs. Gloop. Just over there, dear lady." The Gloops waddled over to where Veruca and her father were standing, and soon, it was Violet's turn. She looked back and gave a nervous glance towards Charlie. Charlie gave her a small, encouraging smile and that seemed to give her the confidence she needed.

She walked forwards and gave her ticket to Mr. Wonka. "Violet Beauregarde," she introduced herself. Mr. Wonka studied her intently before learning closer to her. "Darling child, welcome to Wonka's." Violet seemed a bit unsure and leaned back a little from him. "What kind of gum you got here," she blurted out, apparently trying to make small talk. 'Huh, she seemed so confident on television, but she's not in real life.' I thought to myself. Before I could ponder the matter even further, Mr. Wonka lifted his fingers under her chin and said softly, "Charming, charming!"