A Death in the Family

~Lucy~
I was bored when I got home from class. Natsu had to go work with Sting about guy stuff so, I was left at the house.

Since I had nothing better to do, I took a nap. As groggy as I felt, I woke up slowly to hear my phone vibrating on the nightstand.

I checked to find the caller ID and it was Otou-san. Why is he calling me?

I picked it up, "Otou-san?"

"Lucy?" I could hear the anxiety in his voice.

"Otou-san, is something wrong?"

"Lucy, do not let Natsu Dragneel find the book."

"What are you talking about? What book?!"

"There isn't much time to explain! Please, Lucy!"

"Otou-san?!" And the call hung up.

~Juvia~
I woke up again to see my beloved's sleeping face. I softly smiled and brushed his raven-colored hair from his face.

"My Gray-sama..." I whispered, hoping not to wake him up.

I slowly got out of his toned arms and put on a robe. I went down to the kitchen to see that it was 2:00 in the afternoon. Gray and I missed school again. This is the third time this year. I guess it's a good thing we get out in two weeks.

The doorbell went off. Who could that be?

I noticed a flashing blue and red light and I began to panic. The police? What are they doing here? I slowly open the door and I see a skinny guy with orange hair and a really fat guy with black hair.

"Are you Juvia Heartfilia?" The ginger asked.

"This is Juvia," I said.

"My name is Detective Jet and this is my partner, Deputy Droy." the ginger said.

"Juvia, is everything okay down there?" I heard Gray-sama come down the stairs. He approached us wearing a robe and messing around with his bed head hair.

"Juvia is okay. Has something happened?" I asked.

"We 're sorry to tell you but, your father, Jude Heartfilia, has passed away." The detective told me.

"What?" I asked. I clearly didn't hear that correctly. There's no way Otou-san can be dead... That's ridiculous!

"Oh god. What the hell happened?" Gray asked, seeing my disbelief and shielding me from them.

"He was murdered by the same man that killed her mother." The deputy interjected.

I slumped to the ground. Was he murdered by Mama's killer? But, that's impossible!

"Juvia..." Gray bent down to my level and I cried on his chest. He continued to pat my head as the police explained to us what had happened.

Otou-san is dead.

~3rd Person POV~
Two Weeks Later
May 26, 2018

Lucy sat at the counter in their kitchen. She continued to stare at the picture of her mother and waited for Natsu to come downstairs.

Natsu hated to see Lucy so miserable. She never left the sight of her mother's picture. It began to worry him of how different she looked from the regular, happy self that he was used to.

"Lucy... We have to go to the funeral now." Natsu told his blonde girlfriend.

"Okay. Let me at least fix your tie first." Lucy said, her eyes never leaving the floor.

As she tried to straighten his tie, she laid her against his chest and sobbed.

He pulled her into a hug and tried to comfort her as best as he could.

"Lucy..." He continued to pat her head as he let her cry.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Even though it was the starting of summer, it was dark and gloomy that day. As soon as Natsu and Lucy arrived at the original Heartfilia home, it had begun to rain.

"Juvia must be upset." Lucy blurted out, remembering her sister's days as "the girl who brought rain".

Natsu held the black umbrella for them as they approached the house.

Jellal, the eldest Heartfilia, had let them in. Lucy immediately hugged her brother and began to cry again.

"I know, Lucy... We all know." Jellal said, trying to soothe his sister.

Natsu took her from Jellal when he saw his older sister, Erza. She put her hand on Jellal's shoulder and also tried to comfort her grieving husband.

Gray never let Juvia out of her sight. Gajeel remained in the empty hallway and refused to come near anyone. Levy looked sad as she saw how upset Gajeel was, even with the tough guy act. Romeo, unlike his big brother, completely abandoned the idea of the tough guy act and cried. Wendy tried her best to help him.

Rosemary, oblivious to the situation found Gajeel and tugged on his pants.

"Uncle Gajee, why are Papa and everyone crying?" She asked.

Gajeel looked at the 2-year old girl and kneeled to her level.

"Something really sad happened a few weeks ago, kiddo," he said.

"What happened?" The little girl asked.

Gajeel refused to break as he tried to explain to the child, "You won't be able to see Grandpa anymore, that's all."

"I don't get it. Is he on vacation? When will he be back?" Rosy shouted, attracting attention around them.

"He won't be coming back, Rosie," he said, now looking down.

"What do you mean he's not coming back, Uncle Gajee? Grandpa said that I would sleepover on Friday! Where's Grandpa?" the little girl shouted, now making Gajeel explode.

"HE'S FUCKING DEAD!" Gajeel's shout echoed in the large home.

"G-Grandpa's dead?" The little girl began to cry and Erza went to grab her.

Levy came up to Gajeel and he continued to look at the floor.

"Was that really necessary, Gajeel? I mean, she's just a little girl. You can show some sympathy every once in a-" Levy stopped to see an unbelievable sight.

Gajeel kneeled down to her height and buried his face in her chest.

"Gajeel?" Levy asked, picking up his head and looking in his red eyes.

Fresh tears were dropping from his face, which is something Levy had never seen Gajeel do. He had never cried before.

"Just let me lay here, Levy," he said, surprising her again with saying her actual name.

She brushed his mane with her fingers and wrapped her arms around him.

"Okay, Gajeel." she let Gajeel lay there and cry.