Chapter XVI

Maddy and Sofia were sat on Maddy's bed in her room, as they were both shocked at what was going on in front of their eyes. The older girl had taken the tape from Nate Jacobs. Now, Sofia knew what happened to Jules— but she didn't know it was Nate's father they were talking about.

"What the actual fuck is going on in their family?" Maddy said, slowly looking over to Sofia, and then back at her laptop.

"No idea." she shook her head. "Are you going to keep it?"

"Obviously. Nate doesn't know I took it." Maddy said as taking the tape out, and putting it back into the case, placing it on her drawer.

"She didn't tell me anything. I don't even think Rue knows." Sofia said leaning on the bed, and staring at her sister while Maddy contemplated whether she should hide the CD or not, in case Nate comes for it.

"She definitely doesn't." Sofia wondered what was going on between Rue and Jules. Her best friend told her a while ago they were happy, but really, they seemed to grow apart. They were both lying to each other. Jules about cheating and hooking up with other people, and Rue, well about being sober— she was doing drugs with this new friend of hers— Elliot. But it was because of one person. Jules. Of course Sofia promised she wouldn't tell the blonde about Rue and the state she was in, and they didn't really talk much anyway— she didn't have any reason to.

~

It was the first day of school after the new year. And I finally had everything I'd ever wished for— Jules. But I completely forgot Elliot goes to our school. If this asshole says anything about doing drugs, I will literally slit his throat in the quad.

"Hey, Rue, what's goin' on?" Elliot said, as he made his way over the two girls.

"Nothin'."

"I'm Jules." the blonde said smiling, even though she was internally judging and analyzing Elliot.

"Yeah sorry, this is Jules." it was obvious that Rue wanted the conversation to be over, but it would have seemed weird to just leave without saying anything.

"Hey, I'm Elliot. Nice to meet you."

"Sorry, introductions are usually, very, uhm, overwhelming and debilitating for me... at least." Rue said, while glancing at Jules, who had a very weird expression on her face.

"Uh, so, how do you know Elliot?"

"We met on New Year's." and that's when Rue started to get panicked, Elliot didn't know about Jules, and he obviously didn't know about her not knowing about the drugs.

"Oh shit, yeah. That was it... New Year's. That's- that's where we met." Rue said, chuckling to hide off her panic. "Jules is my girlfriend."

"Wow... I didn't know you were, um-"

"In a relationship?" Jules cut off Elliot, swinging back and forth into her place, while Elliot looked at the jealous blonde in front of him.

The other thing I wish I could mention is I, sort of spent the last few days hanging out with Elliot. Which was cool, cuz' he makes a ton of selling music stems online, and we bought a bunch of drugs.

"Um, it was nice to meet you, and I'll see you later Rue." and she left, leaving a confused Elliot behind, and a still panicked Rue behind as well.

Fuck. Was it just me or was that like, super awkward?

"That was awkward." well, at least, they thought the same thing.

~

Over the past few days, Cassie and Nate have been constantly hooking up. And Maddy still had no idea. It's not like they were together, but they weren't exactly broken up. And everyone knows the rule. Do not get together with your best friend's ex. Never.

As soon as Nate had been released from the hospital, he wished he was back in the hospital.

"I just want to kill myself." Cassie said crying over the phone, and Nate was just boringly laying in his bed, listening to her.

"Just take a deep breath."

"Nate, I'm legit going crazy right now. You can't do this to me."

The only way Nate was able to calm Cassie down enough to stop crying, was to let her know they'd meet next weekend. But then he said something that totally freaked her out.

"If Maddy finds out, or Sofia, they're gonna spend the rest of their lives trying to kill me."

"I know."

"But they will actually kill you."

~

Now at the time, I didn't know how much the thing with Elliot upset Jules.

"Is she really upset at the fact that you have friends? What the hell?" Sofia mumbled as she was eating a salad beside Ashtray at the kitchen counter, totally shocked at the fact that Jules could be so possessive. And so jealous.

"I guess that's just how she is?" even Faye, who was high, shook her head along with Sofia and Ashtray, who were really invested in everything Rue was telling them.

But I never thought Jules was like clingy, or jealous, so, I didn't think it'd be a big deal.

"Why'd you say sorry for something you shouldn't be sorry about?" Sofia asked Rue who was blankly staring at the ceiling.

"She thought I have a crush on him." but Sofia stayed silent. She didn't exactly want to start elaborating about Jules and what happened to her, especially that it was her privacy. Even though she had to tell someone other than Maddy to get it off her chest— and that person was Ashtray, so they both looked at each other sharing a knowing look. She was talking about Rue basically 'cheating' on her, but she was the one who wasn't honest.

"So you can't have like, any friends because of her?"

"It's not like that!" but Sofia stopped listening to her best friend, trying to defend Jules's possessive attitude, so she just turned to her boyfriend. After taking notice of her friend that wasn't paying attention to her anymore, Rue started explaining everything to Faye instead.

"This salad is like really good! Did you put like, anything special in it?" she asked the boy while she was still eating, glancing a bit to her side.

"My heart." he winked, and Sofia rolled her eyes at Ashtray's attempt to flirt, but she still chuckled when the boy put his head down in defeat.

"Aww, don't be sad." the girl hugged her boyfriend and gave him a kiss on the forehead, and now that Sofia was standing and he was sitting, she was taller then Ashtray. He grabbed her waist, and hugged her again, while resting his head on her chest, closing his eyes as Sofia ruffled his hair.

"I could never be sad around you."