Chapter XI

"But like, you're driving us, right?" Sofia asked Fezco, while taking her dress from Rue.The Winter Formal that Ashtray and Sofia were supposed to be going to was tonight. After the boy said yes, she began to choose their clothes— and of course, she chose to wear black. Rue was feeling a little bit better, and she wanted to see her best friend getting ready for her first 'mature' school dance.

"Yeah, I'm not letting y'all by yourselves."

Ashtray was in his room putting on the suit Sofia chose, trying to calm himself. He couldn't lie and say that he wasn't nervous, especially now admitting to himself that he actually liked the girl he had a supposed 'date' with. On top of that, the anxiety of first stepping into a real school was immense. When he stepped into the living room, he scanned it, but no sight of Sofia.

"She's in the bathroom, changing. You look really good by the way." Rue said, eating a few snacks.

"For real bro, I never thought I'd see you in a suit."

"Neither did I." Ash said, and took a sit on the chair at the kitchen table. While he was drinking a glass of water, Sofia also stepped into the living room.

"So, be honest— and! Don't.. laugh! How do I look?" Sofia was wearing an appropriate-short black velvet dress, with puffy transparent sleeves, and a pair of short black heels to compliment her look. She was wearing a bit of makeup, it was noticeable, but it wasn't too much, and she had her hair curled-up a little bit. Of course, she and Ashtray matched. He was wearing a black suit with a black tie, and black dress shoes. Obviously he still had his buzz cut, but that's probably the thing she loved most about his appearance.

"You look fucking beautiful." Rue said, while analyzing the younger girl in front of her.

"Yo, you need to be real careful. Both of y'all."

"We will be, don't worry." Ashtray was at a loss of words— he never saw Sofia wear any type of dress or skirt, so it was new for him— and for her, too. It's not that she didn't like wearing them, but sometimes they were too uncomfortable.

"You look great." he said slower than Rue and Fez, and looked her up and down— she looked amazing, and Ash couldn't deny it.

"Well you don't look too bad yourself." she said smiling, making her way over the corsages that were proudly sitting on the coffee table.

"No, no, let me help y'all— this is such a heartwarming moment I might shed a tear." Rue said fake-crying, taking the corsages and putting them around Sofia's right wrist and clipping it on Ashtray's suit's pocket. "Let us take a picture."

"Don't exaggerate, it's just a friendly night out." Sofia mumbled, and made her way to stand beside Ash, who put his arm around her shoulder. They both smiled, and immediately parted as her best friend and Fez confirmed they took the photography.

"Definitely."

~

"As I said y'all, no funny business. Hear me?" the teenagers both rolled their eyes, and got out of the car— they were in front of the school. Surprisingly enough, it was Ashtray who grabbed Sofia's hand, and they both went in. It was a silver and white Winter themed party, and the lights were mostly blue. Sofia saw Gia and her other friends, and quickly made her way over to them, still hand in hand with the boy she tried to convince herself that she did not like.

"I thought y'all weren't together, damn." the girl from the carnival said, while Gia got up to hug Sofia.

"We're not." Ashtray spoke, and decided to let go of the girl's hand in order for her to return the hug.

"Seriously though, y'all come both times hand in hand and you want us to believe you're not together?" Gia guided them to their table, and they both sat down.