A Terror To Behold

Izana--

"Before I start bashing skulls in, I need to know what the hell is going on in here." Roman growls, his eyes meeting mine in anger.

"We had an attack but I handled it. It was only Perrin, as you can tell." Reza tells him as if that is why Roman is mad.

He seems to ignore her and I note his hand twitching near a pouch on his thigh. "Why are you so close to her, Izana?"

"We were discussing personal matters." I answer evenly, meeting his gaze in a silent challenge.

"I didn't realize you had to be so close to someone to speak." He retorts.

"Roman, calm down. I was intimidating him into speaking, that is all. How was the perimeter?"

Roman looks away from me and instantly softens his gaze as he looks at her. He's just as in love with her as she is with him.

"It looked clear to me. Let's go while we can before your idiot cousin wakes up. I'm looking forward to getting rid of Izana."

We've been traveling in relative silence for a while. We have to move slow because of her injuries and trying to not get caught. Roman's attitude hasn't improved, resulting in Reza having to stay beside him because it was too dangerous to stay behind or fully in front and he almost had a meltdown when she stood beside me. I notice Reza starting to struggle to keep up pace with him but before I can speak up, he tells us to take a short break. I settle on the ground in the small clearing we're in and watch the pair move up into a tree. A few moments later, I can hear her speaking softly, but can only pick up a few words. As they talk, I hear his anger start to fade away along with me being able to pick up his words. From what I had gathered between the two they were discussing feelings and the reason behind his anger. I couldn't help but to hear my name in the mix as well. I look up at curse as I hear movement ahead of me and call up to them.

Reza and Roman drop down beside me with their weapons ready and I pull one of the daggers Reza had slipped me when we left. There are four cloaked figures and it's rather easy to tell that they're members of her family. One lunges at Reza while two more go for Roman, leaving me to deal with a tall skinny man with a dagger. It has been a long time since I've had to fight with anything but my sword, but I can manage I'm sure. I duck his blade and swing with mine while copying Reza's move of kicking her opponent as she straightens. He staggers back enough to give me time to attack again and land a hit to his temple, dropping him to the ground. I turn to check on Reza and find her pinning a young dark haired woman to the ground with the tip of her sword. She isn't trying to kill her though, at least not yet.

"Your plan was to kill me, so why should I not return the favor?" Reza asks, tilting her head slightly. "You're interfering with my plans."

"I-I'll help you, whatever your plan is! We only left compound because the Head ordered all Mitzko's to go out and claim your life. We didn't expect to actually find you." The girl explains as she continues to look between Reza and the blade at her throat.

"The competition has always been optional, why would she order that?"

"She said that you have disgraced her name and wants you eliminated."

"Would you be willing to risk your life and everything you've stood for for our plan?" He asks her. "Would you swear your allegiance to Reza to spare your life right now, Kirini?"

"Y-Yes! I'll do anything just please don't kill me!"

"Your allegiance will be a life-long decree. You will be under her direction until you die. Are you sure you are willing to forsake the Mitzko family?"

She's silent for a moment before nodding. "Yes."

Reza withdraws her sword and allows Kirini to stand.

"What is the plan?"

"We're going to pick up an unwilling ally, then we are going to invade the compound and shake up the leadership roles." Reza smirks. "If you cross me at any point, Roman will hunt you down and kill you, understood?"

"Yes."

We continue on our way to the castle with Roman and Reza heading the group, leaving me slightly behind with Kirini not far behind me. I didn't expect for them to offer to spare her life, let alone for her to take it. None of the other people I have encountered during our interactions has seemed hesitant or unwilling to take her down like she has. I just hope she isn't faking the fear to try to surprise attack her later on. I don't think Kirini would succeed, but that would still be a hinderance.

"So, you're the prince everyone is after, aren't you?" Kirini asks.

"It would appear so."

"Why didn't she kill you? She was one of the best Reapers the family ever had."

"It's not as if she didn't try, I just seem to be rather hard to kill."

"Why are you with them now? I don't think I would personally want to be friends with someone who tried to kill me."

"We've- come to an understanding." I tell her after coming up with a way to word it. "I'm not the type to hold a grudge. Can I ask what they were like before I met them?"

"I heard that Izana." Reza calls back. "I always was and always will be a harbinger of death and destruction. A true horror to behold."

Kirini giggles quietly. "Reza was always quiet and cold and worked very hard on her training. She didn't fraternize with anyone besides Roman and kicked ass. Roman on the other hand was very outgoing and spent all of his time trying and failing to flirt with Reza. He was still very protective of her though and worked hard to make sure he was physically well enough to care for her."

"Roman flirted with everyone he could." Reza cuts in. "Trust me, I got to hear all about it at home."

"Actually, I lied about all of that." Roman shrugs. "I did have men and women flirt with me, but I never entertained them."

"Then why did I have to hear about it?" She whines.

"I hoped it would make you jealous." He chuckles and it makes my heart ache slightly at the smile on her face.

"Ohh," Kirini sighs as she looks up at me. "I see now. I'm sorry."