Chapter 4: Hands On The Glass

Trigger warning, there's quite a bit of cussing in this chapter!

-----

Tap tap tap.

He felt as though his fingers were going to fall off from how fast he was typing. Letter after letter, word after word, to whoever this Upshur guy was.

He was surprised Lisa had even kept this little card in the first place after her run-in with him while she was in the hospital visiting their neighbor. He felt bad that he wasn't always able to visit with her when she requested it. Stella knew Waylon and Lisa's kids, and Aiden had a particular liking for her, probably her singing. God, she was good. It was able to lull Aiden into a nap at any moment.

Waylon and Lisa didn't ask about her past much. Everyone had their own upbringing and it wasn't for them to stick their noses in, but Waylon was positive that this lady had a past in the entertainment industry. Something that had to do with her knack for humming as much as she did.

He could hear Stella's velvety voice in the kitchen of her house when they were over for dinner. It wrapped around him and his family like a warm blanket. There was a sort of comfort to her house's atmosphere. She was an older woman with a small house, but she radiated the energy of the sun.

It didn't surprise him that Lisa and Stella got on well. Lisa didn't have a mother figure growing up, with only her dad in the picture. It wasn't easy for her, unlike Waylon's picture perfect childhood. Waylon knew she desperately wanted to have someone to fill the hole in her chest that was meant for a mother, and though she didn't say it much, he could read it on her face. Trying to be the mother that she never had. Stella filled that gap perfectly for her, treating Lance and Aiden like grandkids and Waylon like her son-in-law, greeting them all with hugs and warm meals on holidays.

Hopefully Lisa was using Stella as a comfort while he was away. Although, she's not one to panic. She's direct and logical about situations, unlike Waylon's tendency to overthink and over prepare for things. He desperately wanted to get back to his family, but he couldn't just yet. Not without reporting what he had seen to someone at least.

Once he reported it to Upshur, he could go on his way, do his job and leave. He would leave and let this place rot like it was meant to do.

But what if I'm misunderstanding the situation?

No. Waylon wasn't misunderstanding. He knew exactly what he had read on the paper. The paper was right next to him, for crying out loud!

This was something highly illegal, not to mention incredibly fucked up.

"You don't know me. Have to make this quick. They might be monitoring.

I did 2 weeks of software consulting at MURKOFF Psychiatric Systems' facilities in Mount Massive. All sorts of NDA's I am very much breaking right now but seriously, fuck those guys.

Terrible things happening there. Don't understand it. Don't believe half the things I saw. Doctors talking about dream therapy going too deep, finding something that had been waiting for them in the mountain. People are being hurt and Murkoff is making money.

It needs to be exposed."

Waylon's finger hovered over the send button.

"Click it, Waylon. Click it," he tried to convince himself. "Send the email." He had it all written out, and all he could focus on was the sounds he had heard in the night. They were screams, he wasn't going crazy. There was screaming from... the patients. The people.. The people they had trapped here.