Chapter 8: The 1911 Summer Hit

the truth is stranger than our own worst dreams

--

This chapter is hella full of gore and graphic depictions of death! Please be wary of the rating on this book!If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask them! I'm here to answer anything you need clarified!

--

Stella's house had been the center of life and love for the time that the Parks had known her. She was a beam of sunlight in a difficult time for Lisa and Waylon, just starting out as parents and without much support from their respective families.

Lisa's parents were practically void from her life, and Waylon's weren't supportive of Lisa's young pregnancy. Christmas's were tense at first before they'd stopped, and Waylon and Lisa celebrated by themselves. They were each other's rock, and worked as a team to raise Lance and Aiden. It came with difficulty, but the love for their children kept everything how it was meant to be.

Then Stella came into their lives one fateful afternoon. The boys had gotten hurt riding their bikes, and Stella was able to help them fix their ripped jeans. She was a grandmother-figure for the boys, and it worked out in everyone's favor. Being the Parks' neighbor meant no travel for Christmas, except for the cold walk to Stella's doorstep. Halloween treats were plentiful at her house too.

Soon, Stella had turned into a loving figure in the boys' lives, and Waylon started paying Stella to keep an eye on the boys after school as they were finishing up work. Stella didn't want payment at first, insisting that the boys gave her company she hadn't had in a long time, but Waylon insisted. Stella was stubborn, but she took it. Whether it was to actually make money, or just shut Waylon up, he didn't know, but he was just happy that she was someone important to Lance and Aiden. Another person to keep them safe in the case that something happened to Waylon and Lisa.

One Halloween night, when the boys had spent multiple hours trick or treating in the chilly night, they had gone back to Stella's house for hotdogs. The boys were sleepy and cold, so Stella gave them hot chocolate in small cups and were watching a movie on the couch, curled up to Lisa. Next to them lay Stella's dog, Barbas; an older border collie that was seen running around her yard most mornings.

Waylon sat at the table with the glass of water, looking out at his family as Stella finished up some dishes. How in the world had he gotten so lucky? A wife that loved and supported him to the ends of the earth, and two boys that were so unique and pure. It didn't get any better than this.

He hadn't noticed Stella taking a seat across from him until she spoke. "I adore the way you look at them, Waylon."

Waylon jumped, shocked at her voice. "I do," she smiled at him, the way a mother smiles at her son. "There's so much love in your eyes. I can see it. The way you look at them just shows how much you'd do for them."

Waylon chuckled and took a sip of his water. "It's what a father does."

Stella looked at him with a sort of happy-sad look, as if what he was saying was bittersweet. She looked down for a moment and gave his hand a squeeze before smiling at him. She got up and joined the family in the living room. Aiden immediately moved closer to Lisa to make room for her as they all bundled up together.

It doesn't get better than this.

--

Waylon's POV

Waylon was seated under a desk, his head between his legs. He opened his eyes groggily and took in his surroundings. He must have been asleep, but for how long? He had no way of knowing.