Chapter 19: The Sleep Test

Lisa gets ready to pay a visit to Claire Hope, but before she goes, some of her questions need answering. Waylon tries his best to get Eddie to sleep.
--
MERRY CHRISTMAS! I'm so happy I've been able to have such wonderful readers! Thank you for all of the support guys! xoxo

Please be UBER careful reading this chapter. There are mentions of sexual assault, as well as unpleasent and unwanted advances. Your health (physical and mental) comes before anything, so please be careful reading. Thank you again!

--
Lisa's POV

Before she left for Glenwood Springs, Lisa planned to make a few stops. She had already stopped at a grocery store to grab a cheap camcorder, that way she could record everything Claire said. There would be no edits, no fixes, and no scripts. It would all be raw, coming out on camera one way or another. Lisa would have Claire tell her story to the world, and afterwards, she would give the camera to LeAnne and instruct her to do the same. They would each get a chance to sit down in front of a camera and talk about what had happened to their sons.

Their sons were both criminals to an extent, that was a fact. But it wasn't right that they were just being stolen and taken off to do who knows what, only for their family to be aggressively pushed away by Murkoff. So aggressive that Murkoff would even pull guns out and threaten to end the lives of children to get what they want.

Murkoff wanted this scheme to stay underground. But Lisa would rip it right back up from the earth, shining the light on the entirety of the conspiracy and showing the world what was really going on to their incarcerated loved ones.

LeAnne was in charge of watching Lance and Aiden. She was instructed by Lisa to stay at the apartment until she came back from Claire's. She would give LeAnne the camera with her already recorded footage on it, and LeAnne would record herself telling Dennis's story. The way he was arrested, and never seen again by LeAnne once he was taken by Murkoff. Once her recording was created, she would take the camera directly to The Leadville Press, Miles's workplace, and tell them what had happened to him. Once LeAnne delivered the camera, she would wait a week out in Miles's apartment with the boys while Lisa paid a personal visit to Mount Massive.

Miles wasn't coming back, and neither was Waylon. Not without Lisa's help. It didn't matter what happened - she was bringing her husband and the boys' father home. She was going to have her family back again.

LeAnne wasn't keen about the idea of Lisa going up to Mount Massive by herself, especially now that they were almost positive that multiple people were being kidnapped by them for who knew what reasons. Lisa tried her best to reaffirm LeAnne that she would be okay, however. She honestly wasn't sure if she would make it back in one piece, but she was determined to get everyone back again. Even if it meant risking her life.

If Lisa didn't return to LeAnne by a week, LeAnne would figure out what to do with the help of Stella. Lisa would've liked to trust that Waylon's parents would be supportive enough to take the boys, and perhaps there was a chance of them doing that. But their disliking for Lisa coupled with Waylon's no show would have them speculating. And that could end badly if she were to lose the kids to them. Stella was the only safe option, at least she hoped so.

At this point, LeAnne had become someone Lisa felt safe around, facing Murkoff's brutality together and each wanting to protect the boys. LeAnne was almost comparable to Stella, even seemingly similar in age. LeAnne was a bit more hard-headed and transparent, Lisa realized, proven by the way the woman seemed to not realize what was coming out of her mouth sometimes. Yet it was never meant as a blatant attack; rather coming off as her trying her best to be helpful.

One example was the way Aiden had come out of Miles's bedroom the night before, after cuddling with Manchee and watching videos on the man's laptop with his younger brother. His eyes were tired and his cheeks red from leaning them on his hands. Lisa could tell just by his expression how tired he was, which more often than not resulted in him getting argumentative. At some points, his curious nature and repeated questionings of "why" were cute, but at that moment, Lisa was struggling to handle his pestering.