A Heartbreaking Loss

Nothing happened at first, but soon cries could be heard throughout the battlefield. 

Tony and Pepper collapsed, as did Carol, Steve, and countless others. 

Scott and Hope looked at each other, praying for the other to be spared. But then Hope fell to the ground, crying out in pain. 

"No, no, no! Not you! Not you..." Scott said, choking up. He held her in his lap as she slowly died. 

"No!" He cried, tears running down his face. 

"Scott, it's okay..." She said weakly. 

"No, no, you don't deserve this. I can't lose you!" He said, crying softly. 

"Scott...be strong for me, okay?" She said with a faraway look in her eyes. 

"You're going to be fine." He said, comforting her and himself. 

"Thank you, for everything....." She said, her eyes slowly closing. 

"No! Don't close your eyes! Stay with me, okay? You'll be fine." He said, now sobbing. "I love you..." He whispered. 

Her eyes closed completely. She was dead. 

He held her body close to him, not caring about anything else. 

Then he realized. That vision that he had a few days before, the vision in which he saw himself holding Hope's body in a bloody battlefield. It was true. He had wondered what it meant, but he didn't have to wonder anymore. 

"Why couldn't it have been me?"

She didn't deserve this. She deserved to live a full, happy life. But now, she was gone. The love of his life was gone. And he never got to ask her... He pulled her closer and cried. He cried harder than when both his parents died. Harder than when Maggie called him and told him he couldn't see Cassie anymore. He never imagined grief like this. He could barely breathe. 

Hope van Dyne was dead. His partner was gone forever.  

                                                                             Author's Note

I'm going to go into hiding before you guys kill me. But before I do, I'd just like to say, this isn't the end of the story. So don't think I'm leaving you hanging. The next chapter might be her funeral, or it might not. You'll just have to wait and see.