𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐄𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

Renner sat uncomfortably in the green, puffy chair. It wasn't leather exactly but it wasn't really all that soft either like other couches or recliners. 

He sat across from Black Canary in an almost empty room, one he had been in a while before when the team was just starting up. It seemed like it had been years since then.

"Look, I-... I don't need this, I know how to deal with trauma and all that" Renner spoke up finally, waving his hand dismissively. "And how are you dealing with it?" Black Canary asked. Renner briefly recalled his conversation with Robin after the Amazo incident, how scared he was to be around her afterwards.

Fear flashed in his eyes for a moment before he thought of a response. "Well. I'm dealing with it well. I have Justine and Robin and Batman and the whole team, and I have school to distract me when I need it. I've dealt with this stuff for years anyways, I've been almost killed before" Renner brushed it off.

He wasn't lying. As a street fighter, it wasn't uncommon to be on the brink of death every other friday night. 

"Yes, but this time you were  killed" Black Canary pointed out. Renner almost flinched. "Yeah, being burnt to death, no fun. I've done it before, it's fine" He shrugged, "There's people who have it worse than me so I shouldn't even be here" He added, going to stand up and leave. 

"Just because others are suffering doesn't mean you have to suffer as well" Black Canary tried to reason. Renner sighed and sat down. "That's what Justine always says.." He muttered. 

"Maybe I'm not dealing with it that well but that's okay! I accepted that I was going to die and said goodbye to Robin, I was fine in the simulation, it's just waking up.. I had just started to go to the Underworld and my parents were there, I was going to see them and then.. and then they were gone and I was back here and I just...." Renner sighed and brought his knees to his chest.

"I know I shouldn't even want to see them, I mean, they beat me and left me for dead but.." Renner trailed off again, a conflicted look in his eyes. "I'm not sure what to think anymore. I love them and I know I shouldn't but I don't want to stop loving them. They still cared but they had their.. moments"  He tried to reason, but even he recognized there was no hope for that line of thinking.

"I think I should leave the team" Renner spoke after a minute of silence.

-------->

Renner flagged down Aqualad after a small team meeting to see how everyone was doing after the sessions with Black Canary. 

He had spoken to Batman about taking a break from the team and the vigilante agreed that it would be for the best to have a break from the superhero gig for a while after reliving some trauma. Though, Batman made Renner the one to tell Robin he was leaving.

"Tell him yourself, if he heard it from me he'd think you're leaving for good"

Aqualad turned to face Renner and the seventeen-year-old caught up with him easily. 

"I just- uh, thought I could tell you personally before Batman announces it.." Renner started. "I'm- uh- taking a break, from the team, I mean. After that whole exercise thing, I think my brain deserves a little bit of a break from trauma for a bit" Renner explained.

Aqualad nodded, understanding where Renner was coming from. "Of course, my friend. You will be welcome to come back whenever you'd like, as you know" Aqualad assured. Renner smiled behind his fox mask and thanked Kaldur for his understanding and accepting nature. And finally, he hugged the man before leaving to tell Robin.

-------->

Robin was in the kitchen grabbing a granola bar from one of the cupboards when Renner found him. "Hey, Sweetheart" Renner mumbled, leaning against the counter next to him. "Sweetheart?" Dick questioned with a red face, tearing off the wrapper and taking a bite of the granola- it was paired with cashews and honey.

"Yeah, I don't know, heard it in a movie somewhere" Renner shrugged, a small smile gracing his lips at how well Dick seemed to be reacting to it. 

"Uhm, not to sound really serious or anything, but I need to tell you something" Renner started hesitantly. Dick eyed him warily. "I'm- uh.. sort of.. leaving the team, just for a bit. Takin' a break after.. you know" Renner explained hesitantly. 

Robin took in the information for a moment, just chewing his granola bar.

"Have you told Kaldur? Or Batman?" Dick finally spoke up. Renner nodded yes in reply.

"Yeah, I just told Kaldur. I wanted to tell you last because I was sort of hoping we could go on a date or something.. I heard there's this carnival in Metropolis, it seems pretty cool. I'd pick somewhere more close to home but I'd rather not be interrupted by a freak in clown makeup, y'know?" Renner was close to rambling at this point.

"Of course I'll go with you, I've been meaning to ask to go out with you  actually" Dick confessed sheepishly. "Oh, good, good" Renner mumbled, starting to fidget excitedly. "When do you want to go?" Dick asked, thinking his movements to be from nervousness.

"Well, it started yesterday and ends in two days or so, so I was hoping today or tomorrow since it's only about-" Renner checked the time on the oven, "One o'clock" He finished.

"Well, it's monday tomorrow so I think it'll be better to go today" Robin explained his reasoning. Renner had secretly hoped he'd say to go today. He was really excited for their first date. "We should get going then, the nearest zeta is ten minutes away from where the carnival is" Renner informed.

Dick nodded with a smile. He was already in his civvies, as was Renner, so all they had to do was take off their masks. Renner hoped he wouldn't be questioned as to why he was holding a porcelain mask while at a carnival since it obviously didn't fit in his pockets unlike Dick's, who's mask was just a pair of sunglasses.

END

*Y'all gotta tell me what you think about this book, especially if there's any criticisms for me to watch out for when writing in the future!