Signs of Corruption

Kasen awakes to a young boy holding a small knife to him. It was if the boy was looking for a reason to kill him.

"Give my  parents back apparition." He threatened.

"Holt!" Came the voice of an elderly man entering the room.

"You were raised better than this."

"...Sorry grandpa." He grunts and puts his knife away.

"Forgive him," the elder apologized. We saw you lying on the out skirts of the capital last night. You had a nasty wound. We were able remedy it with what little we had."

Kasen checks to see that in fact his would healed completely.

"Youre safe if you're wondering. Us outsiders don't get many visitors especially apparitions."

"I'm not the first you've seen then? I thought apparitions were supposed to be your enemy?

The elder nods. "Our two species have been mortal enemies since the earliest days. During the brutal era I fought for human supremacy. Apparitions were only targets to me, women, children, the innocent. I only sought their annihilation. My unit was ambushed when we decided to take a breather after a long journey. I watched helpless as my comrades we violently murdered one by one. Then they surrounded me, eager to tear me apart, suddenly the apparitions were cut down by beautiful looking apparition woman. Everything about her illuminated me. She looked at me and said In her own words that this senseless violence must end. She spoke so passionately I was actually a bit smitten by it" he chuckles. "She said that she doesn't have the power to make me choose but if I joined her coalition I'd find peace within myself. I realized I'd rather live in a world peace than a world of war. I believe some day the we can coexist."

"I want to think that too," Kasen agreed.
Holt spat at his comment

A villager frantically enters the room.

"The Saint Guards have returned"

Holt desperately wants to go out but is held back by the elder.

" Both of you wait here and don't come out until they've left."

Outside in the streets of the village town, the residents riot as several men all wearing black and yellow uniforms arrive. The man in the middle has a several medals across his collar. He observes the villagers with a dirty grin as they yell at him to return their loved ones.

"I Lieutenant Nathanael order you peasants to SHUT UP!" His voice over the villagers causes them to fall silent.
You'll get your loved ones back once your dues are paid."

"And I assure you'll get it." The elder replies.

"That's what you keep saying, but your progress on both sides keeps getting worse. So to fix this problem I thought we'd try a 'team building exercise'."

The men around Nathanael snicker.

"What's lacking is communication.
You have to know how important paying your dues are and we've come to a solution that the best approach this is randomly killing one of you and also another we're holding...starting today."

Nathaniel's men draw their weapons causing fear to spread among the residents.

"I beg you reconsider." The elder pleaded.

Hiding within the hut, Kasen and Holt watch the ongoing conflict.

"I won't watch them while they murder everyone." Holt grabs his knife and runs outside. He runs through the crowd to attack Nathanael.

"Holt no!" the elder shouted as Holt rushed past him.

Holt's hit across the face by one of Nathanael's men and he falls over.