1

I often wondered how my life became so routine. Preparing myself for the day, I tried to wear something to catch the attention of others, especially my wife. Sam stared at me as I walked into the kitchen. The spoon of peanut butter in her mouth seemed stuck as she narrowed her eyes and considered what to say.

But her and our daughter were much alike in their thinking. "Mom, damn." Hailey gasped as she walked past me on her way to the fridge. "Are you trying to break some teenage hearts today?"

"I just felt like wearing something nice."

Sam continued to look at me, not saying anything yet. But I waited, hoping for some sort of compliment from her. I wanted her to like it. I hoped that she liked how sexy I was. And wanted her to tell me how much she wanted to peel everything off of me and take me as soon as Hailey left for school. But she didn't.

"You need a ride?" I asked my daughter.

Hailey leaned a gatorade to her head and nodded. "Yes. Becky's calling in sick. Something about zits and vaginal waterfalls." She flipped her wrist and looked at her phone.

I drank my coffee and searched for my wife's attention. But she was already off to her office to start work. "Well, come on."

I grabbed my purse and headed to the door. Hailey followed me with her head stuck in her phone. "Mama P, I think I have vaginal waterfalls too." Hailey looked at me, stuck out her bottom lip and placed her hand over her stomach.

"Nice try. You had your period last week."

Hailey's jaw dropped. "I hate that you remember everything!" She grumbled as she walked out the door. I found myself laughing at how dramatic my daughter was.

When I got to my office, I noticed a message from Sam. You look amazing today. Love you. I only wished that she'd say it to my face. It would have felt one hundred percent better.

I sat down at my desk and began my usual morning ritual—checking my emails, voice messages and whatever my secretary left on my desk.

Three hours into work, I got hungry. The faculty had their own lunchroom. But everyone had to get food in the cafeteria. And I always ate in my office. None of the teachers were comfortable with me lounging with them. I assumed that it was because they couldn't gossip freely.

I noticed Hailey with her friends and waved as we crossed paths in the hallway. Hailey didn't wave back, as usual. She'd always been embarrassed that I was the principal of her school. And as she said, it was so not cool.

"Dude, your mom looks hot." I heard her friend, Mia, say. I focused on the path in front of me, but a smile graced my face. It was the compliment I needed to get through a long day.