26

I knocked on Jamie's door, while feeling very anxious. I held a bouquet of flowers in my hand. as I waited for her to open the door.

When the door swung open, my heart thumped harder inside of my chest. "Hey, Peyton." Jamie took me in with her warm eyes.

"These are for you," I said.

She smiled weakly at me. "I'm allergic."

"Shit. I'm sorry." I became very nervous. "I didn't know."

"You can place them down and come in," she said. I dropped the roses beside her door and walked in. She closed the door and I rushed over to her kitchen sink to wash my hands.

"I'm so sorry. I'm not trying to kill you, I promise."

"It was sweet of you. I wish I could enjoy them," Jamie said.

I noticed candles lit all around the room. "This looks romantic." I admired her efforts.

"I tried my best," Jamie said. She handed me a hand towel to dry my hands. "I know this is only the first time we'll be spending time together, but I was wondering if we could hold each other?"

I smiled at her. "I'd love that."

"I'm not asking for sex. I just want to—"

"I know," I said. I took her hand and led her to the couch. Warmth rushed through me and she leaned against me. The silence in the room was comforting. And listening to her soft breaths soothed me.

"Is this awkward for you?" Jamie asked softly.

I felt calm in her embrace. I hadn't felt at ease like that in a very long time. "No," I mumbled. "Is it awkward for you?" I looked down at her head slowly sliding onto my lap. Jamie nuzzled her neck against my thigh and sighed.

"Should it be?"

I began to caress her hair and I could hear her humming. "I don't know. But I don't feel that way," I said. "We have no reason to be."

"Other than you being my boss and former teacher," Jamie giggled.

I flicked her cheek playfully, "don't make me feel old."

Jamie looked up at me from my lap, "I never thought I'd have a chance to be with you," she whispered.

"I'm not that special, Jamie."

"You've always been to me. There's just something about you that makes me want to get to know you better."

I could feel the blush creeping onto my cheeks. "That's nice of you to say."

Jamie said, "I've always wondered what you were like underneath everything. I knew that you were sweet, funny, charming, so damn sexy. I got to know more about those parts of you when we started working together."

I smiled at her. "You're not too bad yourself, Jamie. I don't know how I started to notice you more, or what changed for me to. I couldn't stop thinking about you. I guess I became interested in you without wanting it or knowing how to stop it."

Jamie said, "are you really ready to try? I'm not looking to hook up, Peyton. I want something real with you."

"I'm not a fling kind of woman. I'm here because I want to give us a chance. I think we've waited long enough, Jamie."

"I've waited longer than you, Peyton."

"Really? How long?" I grinned at her.

"Way too long." Jamie sat up and looked at me intensely, "can I kiss you?" She asked.

I felt a rush of emotions run through me. As she leaned in snd pressed her lips against mine, I thought about what the future would bring. Maybe we'd work out, or maybe we wouldn't. But I couldn't imagine not trying.

Jamie definitely was something special. And I was grateful for the chance to get to know her.

THE END