20

Stepping into our bedroom took all of the strength I had left in me. I was grateful that Sam wasn't there. I headed to the bathroom and got into the shower, trying to wash away everything.

The steaming water poured over me and all I could think about was my wife's infidelity. At least Jamie was finally off of my mind.

The shower's door opened, and Sam stepped in. "What are you doing?" I asked as I noticed her naked body.

"Getting in the shower with my wife?" Sam pressed herself against me, but I stepped back.

"Sam, this is the last thing I want right now."

I left the shower and grabbed my towel, wrapping it around me. "Peyton, I'm sorry."

"Sorry?" I snapped at her. "You are unbelievable!"

I stared at her.

"I'm sorry you had to find out this way, honey."

Tears slid down my cheeks. "I don't understand why you would do this to us," I cried. "I thought we were happy."

"No, you didn't. We are content, Peyton. You know that."

"How can you—"

"We love each other. But we cannot complete each other. I do what I have to do so that I can be what I have to be for you."

"You're a fucking idiot! You haven't been anything!"

"I try my best, Peyton."

"You try your best? Your best would be not having sex with complete strangers!"

"I'm not proud if it. But I can't help myself. It's what I'm into."

"You're into orgies and bdsm? When? How long have you been doing this?"

"Peyton, you know our sex life has never been—"

"It used to be normal, until it became non-existent. You won't touch me. Is it because I don't do what your whores would?"

"I need things that you're not—"

"Oh, my god, Sam. You're cheating on me because I can't satisfy you, is that it?"

"To put it lightly, yes."

"How is that putting it lightly, Sam? You could've given me—"

"I get tested every month. And we don't have sex anymore, remember?"

I sat on the bed and placed my face into the palms of my hands. "I thought you loved me," I said.

"I do love you, Peyton. It's just sex. We are more than that." Sam walked towards me and kneeled in front of me. "I love you. I don't expect you to understand, that's why I've kept it to myself."

"Sam, you are cheating on me. Of course, I'm not going to be okay with it."

"Many people have open marriages. And it works. But I know that's not something you would consider."

"At least you know something about me." I looked at my wife again, and she seemed like a completely different person. "Tell me something, can you stomach me doing this to you? Sleeping with other people?"

"Is this about your friend, Jamie?"

"Just answer the question, Sam. You sleep with other people, so why can't I?"

"Because you don't have needs that I do. I have urges that I can't control. You are content the way things are."

"No. I'm not. I like sex too. I just wanted it with you. Not anyone else."

"Sure," Sam mumbled. "You want to sleep with other people, go ahead. I'll take you to the club myself."

"I won't do that."

"Why not? I sleep around, you should too then. You've got years to catch up on."

"I am not interested in sleeping around, Sam. I'm not you."

"Oh, my bad, you just want to sleep with your teacher's aid."

I shook my head. "You have no right to insult me. You are the one who's cheating."

"I'm having sex, sure. But you're emotionally involved with someone else. That's something that I haven't done."

I could see the anger burning through her eyes. "Does it bother you that much? That I could possibly be interested in someone else? Unlike you Sam, I haven't done anything."

"Yet."

"You're right, Sam. Now I can do whatever I want. I do have a years to catch up on, don't I?"

"Don't you dare!"

"Dare what? Have sex with someone that isn't my wife? Oh, that's your job, not mine, Sam."

"Don't be a bitch, Peyton."

I cried.

"I've been faithful to you for eighteen years. How could you, Sam? You've ruined us."

Sam's composure softened. She reached for my hands and kissed them. "We can figure this out. We can go to therapy."

"And do what? Will you stop sleeping around? Can you promise me that?"

"I don't know, Peyton." Sam lowered her head bashfully. "But I don't want you to leave me. I do love you."

"I need you to stop then. If you can't, we are done."

"Peyton, I—"

"You need to decide what's important to you—having sex with strangers or staying with your family. I won't turn a blind eye to your habits. I won't, Sam. I love you but I refuse to do that."

"And if I can, can you promise me that you'll never be involved with Jamie?"

"I won't promise you anything. You don't deserve it. But I deserve yours."

"That's not fair, Peyton."

"You haven't been very fair to me, have you?" Sam didn't say anything. "You can sleep in the living room. I don't want to be next to you right now."

"Peyton—"

"It'll give you time to think about what you want. And it'll give me time to decide if I will forgive you."