12

The day ahead of me became very busy. As I walked towards my office, I passed Jamie in the hallway. She didn't look at me. But I carefully looked at her.

"Ooooo..." I heard a student gushing to her friends as they looked between me and Jamie. I considered it to be taunting.

"Is there something you need to say, Miss Kline?" I asked the young girl. She immediately shook her head and her friends hurried off.

"No, Ma'am," she swallowed.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, Ma'am. It won't happen again."

"I expect it not to. Don't be late for class."

I didn't search for Jamie's reaction, instead I headed straight to my office. I sat down and noticed Jamie walking in.

"I'm happy to see you like your normal self," she said to me.

I smiled weakly, "yes, me too. Is there something I can help you with?"

Jamie shook her head. "No, I just thought that I'd—" she's so cute when she's shy. "—check on you, that's all."

"I'm fine, Jamie. Thank you."

Jamie closed the door and sat down. "Does you wife really think that we're—"

"No." I shook my head. "I don't believe she does. Why are you asking about this?"

"Oh. I'm sorry. I'm just, I don't know. I'm not trying to get you in trouble with your wife."

"Nothing's going on, Jamie. She's the one in trouble for even questioning my loyalty."

Jamie smiled weakly at me. "I wish there was a way I could assure her that that is not my intention."

"There's no need, Jamie. Please don't worry so much about this. Forget I even said anything."

"I can try," Jamie mumbled. "Do you consider me a friend, Miss Aspen, I mean, Peyton?"

"We are colleagues and you are a former student of mine." I considered it for a moment. "Yes. I do believe I'd call you a friend."

Jamie smiled. "Is it against policy for colleagues to fraternize outside of work?"

"I don't believe so. Why do you ask?"

"Well, I do have a girlfriend. And maybe, we could do a double date, or let's call it a friendly dinner with our significant others."

I looked at Jamie playfully. "I don't know if that's appropriate, honestly," I said.

"Consider it catching up? I'd love to meet your wife. And I'd appreciate her seeing that I have no intentions of trying to take you away from her."

"You couldn't if you tried, Jamie," I chuckled. Jamie swallowed and nervously looked away.

"I wasn't trying to—"

"I know what you meant, Jamie." I smiled at her. "Give me some time to consider it?"

Jamie nodded. "No problem. Get back to me when you can." Jamie got up and left my office.

I watched her walk away and felt a tingling inside of my chest. I wanted to forgive Sam for her accusation. But for some reason, I felt guilty about it.