Part 6

With a plate of food that had just been delivered, Lindsey stood by Stevie's bed. She lay with her eyes closed and he wasn't sure if she were asleep or not. The early hours of the morning were quite rough, maybe, he thought, he was ought to let her rest.

"I'm awake." Stevie said, feeling him near. "And please, take the food away."

"You should eat while it's still warm." Lindsey put it down for her on the bedside table, she scrunched up her face and pulled the covers over her nose. "Stevie-"

"No, Lindsey. It's making me nauseous." She added and slowly opened her eyes, she looked up at him. "Please. I'll eat, when it's lunch time. I promise."

Giving her a look as if asking if she meant it, Lindsey took her breakfast away and walked over to his bed. He didn't like that set-up, having two single beds as far from each other as the length of the room allowed. They were told, however, that if those beds were pushed together, he would be asked to leave.

"Are you feeling any better?" Lindsey asked, since she wasn't asleep, biting off a piece of toast. 

"Not really." Stevie sighed, reaching for a glass of water on her nightstand. "I have a terrible headache and I can't even take a stupid pill to kill it."

"Well-"

"I know, I know." She rolled onto her back and lay her hand across her forehead. "Is the food any good?"

"Why, are you suddenly interested?" Lindsey responded with a hopeful tone in his voice. She shook her head. "If you don't eat yours, I will." He wanted to sound it like a threat.

 Stevie just smiled at him weakly. "I know. Enjoy."

"You have to take care of yourself, Stevie. I get that you're not feeling well, but you still gotta eat, go on a proper diet." When she didn't respond, Lindsey looked over at her, realizing that he should have kept his mouth shut. "I didn't mean anything by that. I'm just saying-"

"No, you're right." Stevie nodded, pulling herself up into a sitting position. "I don't look the way I used to. I've let myself go. I'm not thin or pretty anymore. I'm just... a mess."

Lindsey put away his breakfast and closed the distance between them in a few big strides. He sat down and cupped her cheek to tilt her head up. "Do not say that about yourself. It's not true."

"Yes, it is. I've done it to myself. Everyone with eyes can see that." She covered his hand with hers and lowered it away from her face. "You don't have to lie to me, Lindsey. I have mirrors at home, you know. Not that I've looked in them lately."

"I'm not lying." Lindsey insisted, shaking his head. He sandwiched her hand in between his and held it tightly. "Stevie, you have always and will always be beautiful to me; when you're wearing designer clothes and makeup, when you're all natural and in your pajamas." He smiled, but it quickly fell from his face, seeing tears gathering in her eyes. "That's never going to change."

"You're just trying to make me feel better." She said in a quiet voice. "Thank you."

"I- you don't have to believe me, but I'm being honest." There was no point in arguing right now. "Come 'ere." He leaned against the wall and opened his arm, inviting her in.

"We're not supposed to get close." Stevie reminded him, but he didn't listen, wrapping his arm around her shoulders.

"Screw that. I'm sure, they won't turn down another donation if it came to that."