Part 32

Comfortable silence surrounded them as Stevie and Lindsey enjoyed their morning together. He was already finished eating, she had barely touched her plate. He had something to say about it, she repeatedly told him, she wasn't hungry. Stevie then reached for a magazine, a cup of tea in one hand, while Lindsey opened up a newspaper. 

"What are you even reading?" Stevie asked, having had enough of the peace and quiet. 

"The sports' section." Lindsey replied and she gave him a look. "Okay, I'm not. I thought, it might make me sound manly."

"You're plenty manly, Linds." Stevie smiled, carrying her empty cup to the sink. "I have the proof right here." She said, resting a hand on her belly that had just started to round. 

He grinned, nodding his head. "Damn right." 

"Could you please go to the pharmacy for me?" She asked, pressing herself to his back, her arms wrapped around his neck. "I have that prescription from the visit yesterday."

"Of course. I'm heading out anyway." Lindsey added. "Is there anything else you need?"

"No, I'm good." Stevie kissed the top of his curls and pulled away. "While you're gone, I'm going to start painting one of the kids' rooms. I'm so bored of lying in bed, I'm going to lose my mind."

"You're going to do what now?" Lindsey frowned, jumping to his feet to follow her out of the kitchen. "Go sit outside, read a book, watch some TV. Do not start painting the freaking walls!"

"It's okay." She stopped and turned to face him. "I swear, I'm not going to climb a ladder or anything like that. I'll cover as much as I can reach."

"And that's not a lot." Lindsey pointed out and she slapped him. "Seriously-"

"Seriously, Lindsey, it's okay." Stevie cut him off and resumed going up the stairs. "You'll be back shortly, won't you?"

He sighed, nodding his head. "But aren't the paint fumes harmful? Don't forget to open a window." 

"I like the smell." Stevie shrugged, walking into her closet for a change of clothes. "The other day, when we were at the store picking out the color, I swear, I got a little buzzed."

"And how is that okay!" The short-lived calmness ended just like that. "You're going to make yourself sick."

Tossing her clothes on the bed, she took a step towards him and circled her arms around his neck, she rose to stand on her tiptoes and kissed his lips. "If you're that worried, I'm not going to do it."

"Thank God." Lindsey sighed in relief.

"But then I'm going to go with you, wherever it is you're going, and annoy the hell out of you." Stevie smiled sweetly and he rolled his eyes, but his expression quickly softened and he cupped her face. "Does that sound better?"

"At least I'll have you with me and know that you're safe." Lindsey nodded. "Yes, that sounds much better." He pecked her on the lips and went looking for a pair of jeans and a plain grey T-shirt.

While they were getting ready to leave the house, the phone started ringing and Stevie yelled out, she was going to get it, as she was already on her way. They weren't exactly expecting to hear from anyone, so she guessed, it had to be a family member. When she picked up the phone, she realized that it wasn't.

"Hey, Samantha." Stevie said, instantly starting to fidget with the cord. "Is everything okay? Is there a change of plans? Are we still going to see Madison tomorrow?"

"Relax." Samantha laughed lightly on the other end of the line. "Everything is absolutely okay. More than just okay actually."

"Oh? Well, what's going on then?" Stevie gulped, placing a hand over her heart as if she could make it stop beating so fast.

"The adoption is ready to be finalized." Samantha said. "You'll be finally able to bring Maddy home for good."