happier than ever

Natalie's POV:
Cassie, Maddy, and I walk into my house. I glare at the sofa.

"He's gone, again... I wonder when he will return." I think to myself.

"No one is home?" Cassie says raising her eyebrow.
"Well... I'm going to be honest and as much as I hate talking about my life... my mom works two job, my dad left us, my sister Selena lives in another state, my oldest brother Danny works two jobs as well to help mom out with the bills, then my brother Mario... he's an addict. I take care of him mostly when he shows up." I sigh.

"Natalie So you spend most of your time alone...?" Maddy says as she looks worried.
"Yeah but it's not a big deal." I smile just to make the girls less worried.
Cassie and Maddy look at each other. Then they hug me "You never have to be alone, you have us and the other girls."

I hug them back.

No one has ever said that to me before. It felt so good hearing Maddy and Cassie say that. It was a huge relief.

"Thank you girls..." I whisper.
"Let's go to my room but I will warn you now, it's messy." I laugh.

I take Maddy and Cassie upstairs. I open the door.
"What happened in here?" Cassie giggled.
"Depression happened" I laugh.
"Well let's give your room a makeover!" Maddy adds as she giggles.
We start cleaning and organizing my room. My clothes was all over the floor. My closet looked like it was about to explode. Makeup all over my desk. My stuffed animals that I collected is sprawled all over my bed. Cassie came across a ukulele in my closet. She says nothing. Maddy clears off my bed and makes my bed.

Suddenly, Mario appears in the doorway. Standing there.

"Naty..." Mario says as he puts his arm against the door frame and rests his head on his arm.

No one calls me by my nickname which was "naty" expect my family.

I walk over to Mario. I hug him and my head rests against his chest.
"I didn't know you had company, Naty." He wipes his face with his hands.
"These are... my friends, Mario." I smile and say with confidence.
Maddy and Cassie smile. They wave and reach in for a handshake. Mario shakes their hands.
"This is Maddy and Cassie." I smile.
"Nice to meet you!" Maddy and Cassie say as they smile at Mario. Mario ignored them.
"Well I'm going to go back downstairs. I'm thirsty..." Mario says to all the girls. He stumbles a bit walking away.

Whenever Mario said "I'm thirsty". it meant drinking time. Maddy and Cassie didn't say anything but I can tell that they knew as well.

I watch Mario walk off to go downstairs. The girls smile at me as I turn to look at them.
"He seems nice..." Maddy adds in
"He is. I wish he could see how amazing he is." I slightly smile and hold my hands together.

"Should we go the carnival on Friday? I'm dreading on going but Nate's going to be there." Maddy scoffed.
"I haven't been to the carnival in awhile. I would like to go with you and the girls if that's okay?" I look for approval from Maddy and Cassie.
"Of course." Maddy grabs my hand and gives me a warm smile.
"Nate and his family do the Chili contest every year. Of course they win every time. His family doesn't like me but I don't give a fuck." Maddy laughs
"I know McKay is going to stop by their chili booth." Cassie adds in.
"Who's McKay?" Giving a confused face.
"Cassie's boyfriend." Maddy looks over at me.
Cassie blushes. She's smiling so hard. Cassie lays down on my bed and Maddy sits on the edge. I climb onto my bed to sit in the middle with my stuffed animals.