in a garden of flowers

Natalie's POV:

The conversation ends as we get to school.
"That's all that went down." Maddy sighs.
"Speak of the devil." Lexi joins in as we see Nate pulling in next to us. We all watch him get out.
Then Maddy turns off the car, grabs her bag, then quickly gets out of the car. Cassie, Lexi, and I follow her lead. Maddy smirks and quickly walks pass Nate trying to grab his attention. We follow behind her. Nate obviously scoffed and rolled his eyes at the sight of Maddy. The girls didn't look back, but I looked back at Nate. Nate and I made eye contact. Nate smirks at me. I turn back around to face the girls.

"Well my class is this way." I point in the opposite direction of the girls.
"Okay see you during lunch!" The girls smiled
I walk to class. Surprisingly I'm early. But only a few people are waiting for class to start. I sit in my desk and pull out my journal then headphones.

Nate comes into class. He sits in his desk and pulls out his phone. My phone vibrates. I pull out my phone and it's a notification from Instagram, specifically a message from Nate.

natejacobs_18:
Surprise to see you at this time.

natalie_garciax:
yeah,  apparently I can't be late to school no more

natejacobs_18:
ah, I see.
well you look pretty.

natalie_garciax:
no, stop it.

natejacobs_18:
why?

natalie_garicax:
do I really have to explain it?
maddy.

The bell rings. I put my phone in my pocket and Nate glances over at me smirking. It made me bad that Nate was texting me. Mrs.Smith takes attendance and smiles when she checks me off as present.

English ends.

Then I went to statistics, then lunch. I meet up with the girls in the cafeteria at the table.

The girls all wave at me all excitingly as I walk towards them. I sit in the last empty chair next to jules. I pull out my bag and I forgot my lunch. Fuck.
"Hey, I'll be right back. I'm going to get lunch from the vending machine." I pull out a $5 bill. The girls nod. I exit out of the cafeteria. I head to the vending machine in the hallway.

Nate appears behind me and bends down to be the same height as me. He has his head over my shoulder.
"hey." He whispers in my ear. I jump and cover my ear.
"god!" my face turns red. For some reason, that made me feel... good in a weird way.
"Nate, you scared the shit out of me"
Nate laughs. I put in my $5 bill in the vending machine.
"so you came with Maddy... how are you going to get home if she has cheer practice?" Nate asked in curiosity.
Fuck I totally forgot about that.
"I'll just walk home." I enter my selection to get my granola bar and a bottle of water. I look up after. I smile.
"Has Maddy said anything about me? Like bad."
"Um, define bad." I make a awkward face.
"Well, does she talk shit about me?"
"I don't want to to start any type of drama but everyone has different takes on others. I can't judge you based on what I hear." I smile. I knew what he was trying to get at. I grab the granola and water bottle.

Nate gets close to me then slowly moves his face towards mind. His lips look soft. I start blushing and my eyes widen. Nate locks eye contact with me. As he's an inch away from my lips. I move away.