29. Note Sent Home

Pairing: Finn/Kol-Damon, (M/mm) hand, wooden spoon

Monday, August 20, 1855

School House

One Week Before

Elijah did manage to extract himself from business at the Mystic Saloon and drag Finn out of Miss Sage's beauteous and calming presence.

Finn kissed Sage again and promised to see her tomorrow. She was short some workers and felt like she could not come over for supper tonight. Finn was disappointed, but smiled and nodded graciously. He did not want to make her feel guilty for something that was out of her control.

"You are in love, Brother. Why not ask for her hand?" Elijah suggested as the coachman opened the back door for them to enter.

"Elijah, you know. What can I give her? A woman longs for a family, children, to grow old with her spouse. I can do none of those things," Finn announced. The coachman was compelled to forget their conversations so they could speak freely.

"But we have children. Must she birth them herself. If so, there are ways, I suppose,"Elijah suggested.

"Another man? A human? Would you want that for Miss Marshall and you?" Finn pointed out.

Elijah nodded, "I suppose not. Forgive me. It is just that is rare that I have seen you in high snuff...gladsome."

"I am content. Plus, we have children. You said that Kol may have burned down the outhouse? Why am I not surprised?" Finn said dryly, he glanced down main street towards the school house.

"Hayley was not sure who was responsible. She asked me not to interfere with her authority, so I left. If it was Kol, I am too confounded to deal with him tonight. Sometimes I feel like all I do is reprimand them, all of them," Elijah admitted.

Finn looked over at Elijah, "Perhaps that is the problem. Too much talk. Let me deal with this, Brother. It is not all your responsibility. Take a rest. If any thrashing need done, I shall attend to it. The burden should not always fall to you."

Elijah looked relieved, "Thank you, Brother. You have no idea what a relief it is to hear that. I know Niklaus tried to attend to the children properly. But his past, what Father did, will always haunt him to a degree. Say, has he seemed oddly quiet to you?"

Finn stretched back, "I fear he is lonely and a touch left out. Running the estate keeps him busy, but yes, I see him slowing in a state of withdrawal. Again, allow me to speak to him. You rest and allow yourself a night to do much of nothing."

Elijah nodded, "That sounds like heaven."

Mikaelson Estate

The children got home from school and found the house empty, save Marcel. Damon and Kol disappeared quickly and headed to their bedroom. Rebekah watched them go and then turned to her lover. He looked especially handsome tonight in a light cream colored suit. She brushed a hand over his lapel. Stefan was standing there in a stupor, Rebekah took his school books and added them to hers to carry.

"Where is everyone?" Rebekah asked him with a smile.

"I was working in the office. I would have thought Papa should be home by now. Elijah and Finn were in town," Marcel said, slightly perplexed. "How was school?"

Rebekah grinned, "Someone burned down the outhouse!"

"NO," Marcel replied in mock horror. "Was it Stefan?" Marcel tickled the tired, sweaty child under the arms until he laughed. Marcel picked him up and carried him into the kitchen where the cook had food waiting.