thirteen

A few days later, you were anxious and needed to get energy out. You dragged Natasha to the park for a run. She was huffing and puffing as you basically ran circles around her.

"You're stupid," Natasha panted, trying to keep up. "You're stupid, evil, sadist and I wanna kill you."

"Endorphins are good. Endorphins are mood elevators," you replied. "This is supposed to make us feel better."

Natasha stopped and threw herself on the ground. "Do you feel better?"

"I'm stupid." You jogged around her.

"Slutty mistress."

"Pregnant whore."

"Sleeping with our bosses was a great idea."

You stopped and sat yourself beside Nat. "You know what's ruined for me?"

"What?"

"Ferry boats. I used to love ferry boats and Steve's got a thing for ferry boats. Now every time I see a frigging ferry boat-"

"You know what's ruined for me? Coronary artery by-pass grafts ... and aortic aneurysms. I used to love aortic aneurysms."

You laid next to Natasha with a sigh. "Have you cried yet?"

"What do you think?"

"Do you think we'll feel better if we cry? You know like just let it out?"

"Probably. Yeah.... Do you wanna cry now?"

"No."

"Okay."

~~~

Steve entered the hospital elevator, finding himself alone. Which was relieving. Unfortunately, at the last second, Fury entered wearing a beanie.

"Nice hat," Steve commented.

"Shut up," Fury responded.

"What are you doing here?"

"I'm going back to work."

"You're not cleared for surgery."

"Leave me alone. I've been sitting at home watching Ellen giving away things on TV. Ellen, Steve! You clear me now or I'll hurt you."

"If you want me to clear you so soon, maybe you should've thought about that before you gave chief to Stark and invited Satan to Seattle."

"Satan?"

"Good morning," Peggy greeted, entering the elevator. "I like the hat, Nick."

"Satan speaks," Steve murmured.

"Actually I prefer to be called ruler of all that is evil. But I will answer to Satan."

"What is she still doing here?"

"I asked her to stay," Fury answered. "We have a pediatric surgery attending on maternity leave."

"Actually, I could use you on a consult," Peggy told Steve. "Will you meet me up there Steve?"

"Ah yeah. Fine," he responded. Peggy left the elevator. "I'm not clearing you for surgery."

~~~

Dr. Gamora and her group of interns were all gathered in a patient's room for rounds. Dr. Banner was also in attendance.

"Mr. Jackson is scheduled for resection non-small cell carcinoma today," Natasha stated. "He did well overnight, has remained afebrile. He's had a dose of ceftriaxone this morning. He's pre-op labs are unremarkable. His chest x-rays, um, are unchanged from the previous."