Chapter 5

• Dedicated to Robbie James Hicks

September 29, 2011

I found a note on the coffee table.

"Rain stopped."

I sighed, and threw it into the trash before getting ready for school.

October 3, 2011

Today was raining again and I hadn't brought an umbrella with me, so when I walked home from school that day, I was soaking wet. My shoes squished everytime I walked and my hair was dripping all over my carpet.

October 10, 2011

I ate lunch with Skylar today. It felt good for it to be just the two of us. Devin wasn't at school today. So we were alone, eating or sandwiches and talking. "Hey. When are you gonna get a boyfriend? How long has it been? Like.. forever?" she asked with her mouth full of salad.

"Oh that is SO attractive. And I don't want one anyways. Couples are a drag." I replied with a roll of my eyes.

"Hey!" she yelled jokingly.

"Okay. Okay. Admit it. You practically swallow his entire face, and then spit it back out." I said with a small laugh.

"Yeah yeah. But seriously! You've never had a boyfriend, never had your first kiss. Why not?" she asked seriously this time.

"I don't know. Couples sicken me. Really. I can't imagine being lovey-dovey with anyone." I complained with a small stomp of my foot.

Skylar rolled her eyes, "Just because you can't imagine it. Hey! I got it! How about I set you up with one of Devin's buddies!? We could double date!" she shouted excitedly-- her face practically glowing.

"Uhm.. I'll pass." I replied with disgust in my face. The rest of lunch was filled with the chattering of everyone else around us. I stayed silent the entire time.

Today, I walked home with Skylar. "Hey! We should go to the beach this weekend! The weather is finally clear and sunny and I've been DYING to show off my new bikini! Its pink with white polka dots and it has this really frilly thing! You'll love it!" Skylar squeaked and jumped up and down like a little kindergartener.

"Dude. You know I have a problem with swimming." I replied.

"Well duh!" she said with a wave of her hand. "I can teach you to swim! You can't just be a non-swimmer forever! What if one day your boyfriend invites you to the beach, and you're just like 'Nah nah. I'll just watch from the sand.'?"

"Okay. Seriously, drop it with the boyfriend thing."

"I'm just saying! Like, I feel like you're a third wheel around me and Devin sometimes. Ooh! I know! Invite someone to the beach! Invite a guy! Invite a guy! INVITE A GUY!" she shouted loudly in the middle of the street.

"Skylar! I'm NOT getting a boyfriend!" I said once more but with a lot more force this time.

Sighing, she replied with a simple, "You're no fun!" before stomping off with her arms crossed.

October 15, 2011

Somehow, Skylar had convinced me to go to the beach. Well, she hadn't convinced me. She had driven to my house, stuffed me into her car, and then drove off. So then, I ended up at the beach, wearing one of her old swimsuits with a towel wrapped around my shoulders.

"No. One. Is. Here. And. I. Am. FREEZING." I said with an annoyed look on my face.

"That's because we're early! I made sure we got here 2 hours early, so I could teach you to swim!"

"I don't need anyone to show me to swim. I'm perfectly fine by MYSELF."

"Yeah yeah. Keep believing that. OH-EM-GEE. Look! That guy on the surfboard with the brown hair is really hot!" she squeaked.