Epilogue

• Dedicated to Robbie James Hicks

July 15, 2015

I slammed the door to my house, and started to run. I didn't know where I was going, but my feet and mind did. 

Running, running, running. Until I got there.

"Hey Tyler... If you're watching over me right now, I just wanted to thank you? For everything. You gave my life a meaning. You gave the song a meaning. You were my reason to smile, to laugh. You lit up my world. You were my candle, but your flames went out. And you're.. gone. Oh and I'm sorry. For never being there for you. I don't know what else I can say... But I guess this is a start."

I stood staring at the tree and extended my arm to hold a simple flower in the palm of my hand. But it wasn't JUST a flower. It was our flower. A single tear dropped down my cheek, followed by several more. I inhaled the sweet scent of the flower, and sat down under the tree. The tree with a carving.

TM+DS

"You knew I'd be here, didn't you? You knew I'd come back. Well, I'm here, Tyler... You taught me so much... We were here just two years ago... Do you remember?" I smiled a little. "You made me happy.. Did you know that? I'm doing a lot better Tyler. I'm getting by. I got into medical school. I'm going to become a doctor and fight to find the cure for cancer, so people like you don't have to", I swallowed hard, "go away anymore. I'm officially an older-adult-than-I-was-last-year today. It's my birthday..."

I set the flower down, and wiped my eyes. "Would you be proud of how I am? Of... who I am?" I breathed deeply. "Because I'm so proud of you. I guess, I'm here to say that I'll be okay. And you don't have to worry about me anymore. I hope you're happy up there... I hope it's a better place than it was when you were still here... You were everything I could've ever asked for. Everything."

I picked up another daisy. And every time I stared at that daisy, I thought of Tyler.. and how I held his life in the palm of my hand... How he was the daisy... and slowly lost the petals.

I got up from under the tree, dropped the flower, looked up at the sky, smiled, and said these last words before leaving.

I love you.

That was my last time in that meadow. I never returned again.